Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Finally a surgery date in the Main forums forums; I finally have a surgery date for a two level fusion (front and back) with case and screws for October ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Finally a surgery date

I finally have a surgery date for a two level fusion (front and back) with case and screws for October 7. I saw about six doctors until I had my answer as to whom to go to. It was tiring schlepping to new docs over and over but worth it.

Apparently due to chemotherapy I had my bones don't qualify for ADR and thus I will have the fusion. I've started to buy my tools...grabbers, etc. I'll post again when I get there. Thinking of everyone.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 AM

And we of you, Dale
Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 AM

I am soooooo glad to hear this! And a bit envious that you have a date Please don't disappear till then. We would miss you too much.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 AM

cONGRATULATIONS!! You must feel relieved to finally have things in place and be satisfied with your decision.
I wish you an smooth recovery, all the best.
Michelle.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 AM

Too nosey, or can you say who you decided on and why?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:29 AM

Default Who I chose

In the end I chose Dr. Baines of Kaiser, Oakland....I can hear everyone screaming!!! Believe it or not he was recommended to me by Dr. Berven (UCSF) who in the end chose not to do the surgery. Also Dr. Reynolds of Seton Medical Center and Dr. Derby recommended him. Some of this is obviously due to the fact I have Kaiser, but I looked for many recommendations.

Interestingly I went to see Dr. Bittan in NYC and he told me that he didn't want the kind of discogram I had if anyone in the future goes to see him. He wants provacative. I also saw Dr. Neuwirth in NYC also as well as some others.

I would have probably had Dr. Berven at UCSF do it but he tends to do pretty complicated stuff and UCSF doesn't do too much self pay anymore as a fusion he said starts at over $150,000. Insane, but they can get it apparently.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 AM

Im glad you found someone to help you, is he not too far away? It is very frustrating when you travel a long way and pay a lot of money to see someone just to get told they dont want to operate on you.
It is the worst position ever to be in pain trapesing around the place tryng to find someone compassionate to your concerns,meanwhile symptoms worsening.
You have done a good job seeking the varied opinions that you needed.
Out of curiosity was thier much variation in the type of fusion they would perform?
I have been recommended Alif,Plif and Tlif. I think I will go with a Plif as I realy want lordotic cages for L5/s1.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Michelle.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Default type of fusion

Thanks everyone for all your kind words and support.

Michelle, due to the fact I have a chemically sensitive disc, it is very important that they try to remove every last bit of the disc. I am told by five surgeons now that this is best done by going through the front AND then back for the screws and rods.

I think I remember (feel free anyone to correct me) that in going through the back there is a huge muscle they have to be careful of and not damage. It is harder to completely get rid of the entire disc from the back.

As to what it's called not sure...APLIF?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Default whoops

Forgot to mention...it will be in Oakland about one half hour away.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 AM

Just curious, did Dr. Bitan not offer to do the other discogram for you, especially since he did not specify before you went over there? You could have had the other one, couldn't you, if you had only known?

I think I understand the difference between them, but he at least could have explained it to you before you went all the way out there. Sheesh !

Please keep us posted; as I really am curious about the outcomes of this.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM

I am happy for you the desision process is over and time to move forward.

Keep us posted

All The Best Good Luck And Happy Healing

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1