Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Please help approved for Freedom Disk trial in the Main forums forums; Hello community, I have read your threads from time to time and found it time to join. I was just ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 05:24 PM

Default Please help approved for Freedom Disk trial

Hello community,

I have read your threads from time to time and found it time to join. I was just called out of the blue that I was selected for the Axiomed Freedom Disc trial to begin in a month. Keep in mind that it has been over 8 months since I submitted myself so I had to put this out of my mind.

Snapshot of back history:

August 05-In wakeboard accident herniating and annular tear of L4-L5. Since 2005 have had moderate to excruciating pain through lower back and legs. I have done every conservative treatment for years including multiple spinal injections, physical therapy, years of pain meds (which I have never increased so rendered ineffective), and this year discogram.

What I am really having a hard time with is that my wife and I are expecting our first child, a baby girl literally in the next couple of weeks. Given all the potential risks and complications I am at a hard spot on whether I can even risk 1% and put my wife and baby girl in a jam. I know a Dan and a couple others had the Freedom disk put in, could you please tell me if it was worth it and anyone that has had ADR surgery, please describe where you are with it. I would be happy to talk on the phone as well, any advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

As a side note, where I am today is constant pain, I can't sit for more than 20 minutes without the hot pain forming, and actually have to lay on the ground with a laptop to work. I switch between Norcos 10/325 and Tramadol but won't allow myself to increase dosage as I have been on pain meds regularly for 5 years and as you all know my constipation and insides hate me.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM

Hi dvk,

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry for your pain and the circumstances you find yourself in. I view this as an opportunity. I know nothing about the Axiomed Freedom Disc. I'm sure others will chime in here. I'd like to address your circumstances.

Having a baby is a difficult time in any couple's life. I know, I have 3. Having any surgery is a difficult time, I know, I've had ????. Both are a time when spousal support is more important. An unwritten rule in marriage is only one person can be needy at any given time. Not being there when your spouse needs you can be destructive. But you already know all this.

If you do nothing for your back - you won't be able to chase after your baby once she becomes a toddler. You won't be crawling around on the floor after her or scooping her into your arms when she scraps her knee. No throwing her over your shoulders, helping her fly a kite, teaching her to swim, ride a bike... You get the picture.

ADR surgery is usually a slow healing process. Those who try to speed it along usually suffer setbacks. If it goes well, you'll be able to take care of yourself (shower, dress) in a couple of weeks - if it doesn't- it may take a great deal longer. You have hopes but they aren't always completely realized.

ADR surgery is very expensive. Few people, and I suspect you as well or you would have already had this surgery, have insurance coverage. You have been accepted into a trial which I presume will pay all costs except perhaps travel if needed. These curcumstances are ideal with the exception of timing, which in a word -sucks. The next few months will be diffucult for sure, for both you and your wife. Now is the time to call on family members if they are available. If not, paying for a nurse or helper for your newborn will be a great relief to your wife. She'll be able to help you more as needed.

Knowing what I know- marriage, babies and ADRs, I'd go for it. Easy - no, worthwhile - a very definite yes.

Please understand that all of the above is assuming you have already decided to go ahead with ADR surgery. If not, that's a whole other discussion. If you'd like to talk, PM me with your phone number or I'll give you mine.

All my best to you, Dale BTW, a great big congratulations on that baby