Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Bowen technique? in the Main forums forums; Hi, I'm new to the forum, and was wondering if anyone has experience with using the Bowen Technique to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 05:36 PM

Lightbulb Bowen technique?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and was wondering if anyone has experience with using the Bowen Technique to address sciatic pain? I had a discectomy/laminectomy August 2009, two steroid epidurals since then, and am on tramadol and diazapam.

Seven months on, I still have a lot of sciatic leg pain, as well as cramps down my left leg, which I understand from my surgeon is being caused by liquid from the disc space dripping through an annular tear that is refusing to heal. My pain is usually exacerbated by trips to the physiotherapist and the exercises she recommends. A friend recommended I drop physio and have the Bowen Technique (a soft tissue therapy) instead, as it can have positive effects on nerve pain.

Any advice or words of wisdom as to when I can expect the pain to subside much welcomed!

Thanks to you all.
WH
Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 PM

Welcome to the forum WHL,

I googled the Bowen technique and it seems non-invasive enough and therefore, probably safe. As for it helping, many, including me, have tried alternative therapies with positive results.

However, a word of caution, let your body be your guide. If a movement hurts, don't do it. Also, you might try getting into it gradually, letting your overstressed muscles slowly get used to these movements.

Please keep us posted and tell us more about yourself. Apparantly your disco/lami didn't help at all. Did you get a second opinion? Have you had another MRI since your surgery?

Dale
Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Default More about my spine!

Thanks, Dale - I really appreciate the welcome and advice.

My basic story is that I've had lower back pain for a couple of years and had some osteopathic treatment, but it's never been bad enough to seek further advice. Then last August (2009) I lifted something really heavy and the lowest disc on my spine snapped, compressing the nerve controlling my left leg and left me totally unable to move. I had an MRI and surgery the next day and a large piece of the broken disc was removed.

After the disc/laminectomy, I was walking again (very slowly), but developed extreme sciatic pain in my left leg. I've had two MRIs since, both of which revealed tears in the annulus, and have constant sciatic pain now in both legs. I've stopped physiotherapy (which always seems to increase my pain) and now just do gentle walking every day instead. The thing I find strange is how the pain subsided in November, but is now much worse and doesn't seem to be letting up.

My surgeon says I have to give things time, but I'm concerned as the pain has got worse in my right leg, and I'm still suffering numbness in my left foot and a lot of cramping in my left leg, as well as general nerve pain. The surgeon also said if the pain doesn't subside, I'll need to think about getting an artificial disc and/or bone fusion; but this seems a massive leap given some of the suggestions on this site (I've already started taking Glucosamine after reading some of the threads; and have also read about Intra Discal Electro Thermal Annuloplasty and the Spinal Sealant system on ispine, which don't seem as extreme as an artificial disc).

If it got to the point where I was being advised to get an artificial disc or bone fusion, I would definitely get a second opinion. I'm still on tramadol and diazepam, but am trying to come off these and replace them with co-codamol and paracetamol.

Thanks, all.

WH