Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Does the stupid of Neurontin go away over time in the Main forums forums; Hi. Am taking Avinza with 1800 mg/Neurontin. The pain med's PA told me that this Rx used for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 08:31 AM

Default Does the stupid of Neurontin go away over time

Hi. Am taking Avinza with 1800 mg/Neurontin. The pain med's PA told me that this Rx used for neuropathic pain could also help my discogenic pain too (now we get into different receptors - stuff I don't know about).

So, if the Neurontin does help the nonstop back pain, maybe my tolerance to Avinza will diminish.

However, I find that Neurontin makes me stupid, physically clumsy (I used to be nimble 'tho chubby/coordinated), and gives me odd mood changes. It's nice that there's a warning that this Rx can cause suicidal ideation too!

So: Does one get used to Neurontin over time where it's mentally dumbing side effects go away or must one lower the dose? (Gee, I sure asked this in a direct way: see, I'm stupider - no kidding). Sometimes I sound like an absolute idiot babbling on this stuff, it's unreal.

Thanks..

ans
Old 02-28-2010, 05:41 PM

I did not find decreasing benefits or side effects for N or Lyrica either. Personally, I find living with the pain more pleasant than living with no desires in life, at least once the pain had lessened to a livable state.

These drugs are good at what they do but taking away my creativity took away too much of my life.

Good luck, D
Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Default i luv it

For me Gabapentin is wonderful. It can make me a off balance and clumsy but I've learned to concentrate and I deal with it very well. I take as much as they will prescribe which is 4g. For me increased concentration from reduced discomfort and pain far outweighs the goofiness. This is just the opposite of Dale.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 02-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Thank you Dale and Jim for your interesting replies. So it's not cut-and-dried.

Jim, if you have back pain that is not of neuropathic origin, does Neurontin help it? I was told that it can help but I'd like to check up on this.

Have a nice rest-of-weekend fellow Members! Thanks.

ans
Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 AM

Hi Alan,
Yes, it helps my chronic pain symptoms overall. I have numerous pain generators and it helps mute everything, not just the neuropathic.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy