Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Freedom Lumbar Disc Surgery - Anyone else? in the Main forums forums; Hey... My name is Dan. I have just completed 1 week of surgery recovery. I had the Freedom Lumbar Disc ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 AM

Default Freedom Lumbar Disc Surgery - Anyone else?

Hey... My name is Dan.

I have just completed 1 week of surgery recovery. I had the Freedom Lumbar Disc inserted at the L5/S1 Level at Texas Back Institute with Dr. Richard Guyer.

I was interested if there was anyone else involved in the Axiomed Freedom Lumbar Disc / Pro-Disc Clinical Trial around the Country. I know the Texas Back Institute and a place in Durham, North Carolina are running the trial.

I'm just curious to see what you think. If you wouldn't mind filling out the form and letting us all know what you.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,
Dan

NAME:
HAVE YOU HAD SURGERY YET?:
WHAT DISC DID YOU RECEIVE?
RECOVERY TIME?
WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN IF YOU HAD THE OPPORTUNITY?
May 2008 - L5/S1 crumbling disk
Jul. 2008 - L5 - S1 PAINFUL Discogram VAS 10/10
Jan. 2009 - Texas Back Institute - Axiomed Clinical Trial Enrollment
Feb. 2009 - Clinical Trial Surgery - Freedom Lumbar Disc inserted - L5-S1
Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 AM

Thumbs up 2 level prodisc trials surgery 2002

hi Dan:
I am a 2 level prodisc trials patient from southern california,
mine was done by Dr. Rick Delamarter in July 2002. I had a slow
recovery, but am and have been pain free for more than several
years, although i do have to pinch myself sometimes to see if its
real or not, i still can't believe i don't have any chronic back,leg or butt pain
that i suffered with for over 30 yrs.
this has been a truely amazing experience so far!!
i drive a stick shift car daily ( i could not before prodisc
I golf, i am on a bowling league (i could not do before prodisc
i do anything i want, although i do limit the amount of weight i lift.
feel free to email m for further questions
Good Luck in your recovery, and listen to what your body is telling you!!
After a botched spinal tap where my L4/L5 disc exploded i underwent a laminectomy in 1979, and ran from spinal surgery ever since, then in 2002 i met DrDelamarter in Santa Monica- and my life as i knew it changed dramatically, I consider myself the "ProdiscPosterBoy" I am in the US Trials and one of the first in California to recieve 2 Lumbar Prodiscs, nomorepain-nomoremeds
Old 02-27-2009, 03:07 AM

Dan,
I tried to get into that trial; but did not qualify because I had previous litigation regarding my spine. I am a patient of Dr. Zigler and could not get insurance to pay for ADR. I am now in the active L trial. I will be having surgery in Miami on the 17th!!!! (luckily I will be following up with Dr. Z, since he is an investigator in the trial. He won't be doing the surgery because TBI has already done the max number of patients they can). Anyhow, I'm so excited to finally be getting this done, can't wait to get me life back!
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Hey Kathy!

I am so excited that you were able to get what you wanted! I was thinking about you a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if you ever made it up to Miami.

Thats great news! I'll be thinking about you on March 17th! HAPPY DAY! You should post how recovery is going.

Dan
Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 AM

Question Lots of questions

Dan,
How are you doing? Did you feel the instant relief that everyone talks about after surgery? How bad was the stomach pain? I think I am more scared of the stomach incision pain than anything else! I am always laughing (I'm easily amused ) My two crazy friends are going to come to Florida and 'take care of me' once my husband has to leave and come back to Texas. I made them both promise to not make me laugh!
Oh, what meds were you on pre surgery? How much were you able to wean before surgery? Are you on the same now?
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 AM

Kathy,

Everyone is different. I experienced very little incision pain and though your fears are your own, you may find just minor discomfort. Personally, my stomache functioning, or lack of it was a much bigger concern.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:15 AM

Interesting, that makes me feel better. I figure I'll eat tons of fiber before and after surgery to take care of the other issue. That was my biggest fear after both my children were born! How about pain meds? I have weaned off the Kadian (morphine 20mg twice daily) and am on Vicodin 10/325 4-6 times a day. I am hoping to get that down to 2 or 3 a day. Just curious what you were on and what they had you wean to?
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:06 PM

Interesting. My doctor hasn't had me wean off or down on any of my meds. The main thing my pain clinic said was, to be sure the hospital staff/nurses know exactly what you have been on pre-surgery so they can manage your pain levels adequately after surgery. I am only taking 1 percocet per day, but my oxycontin was upped to 3 x a day, instead of 2 x a day, which results in 10 mg x 3 = 30 mg in a 24 hour period.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Earhart View Post
How bad was the stomach pain? I think I am more scared of the stomach incision pain than anything else! I am always laughing (I'm easily amused ) My two crazy friends are going to come to Florida and 'take care of me' once my husband has to leave and come back to Texas. I made them both promise to not make me laugh!
Oh, what meds were you on pre surgery? How much were you able to wean before surgery? Are you on the same now?
Kathy,
For the amount of pain meds I was on, for the first 3 days, I didn't feel a thing. After the hospital morphine got out of my system, I did feel stomach pain.

For the most part, All my pain is incision pain though. Don't feel any pain in my leg. I do have a little pain in my lower back, but I think that might be from me getting up too much. As for the laughing, yeah, you need to be careful. On the 4th day of being home, I coughed while standing, and started to tear up with the amount of pain from my stomach. All I did was took more pills and went to bed.

Before I went into surgery, I was taking Flexeril, Celebrex and Norco (As needed). I had to completely stop the Celebrex 1 week before surgery.

After surgery, They gave me another script of Norco. I started to have these Muscle spasms, which were freaking me out about 2 days getting home. So I called TBI and Dr. Guyer gave me a script of Zanaflex, Muscle Relaxers. Those really aren't working, because I am still having the spasms.

Let us now how things go after your surgery.
Dan
Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 PM

I am currently waiting to get into the Freedom Lumbar Disc vs. Prodisc L in Charlotte, NC. I have a torn disc at L5-S1 verified by Discogram. I have no other disc or spine disorders and have been told I fit the criteria for being in the study. I am really hoping to get the Freedom Lumbar Disc but I suppose I'll be happy with either one at this point. Right now, we are just waiting on the study to begin. They think I will be able to have surgery in April or May 2010. I am so ready to have this done after dealing with the pain non-surgically for 7 yrs. now. I am new to this forum, so all my information isn't up yet. I will post more later.

-Dan
Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Dan, I have 2 Charite's in my lumbar spine, now 7.5 years post-op. I personally know literally hundreds of ADR patients. IMHO, if you are a good candidate and you get a good job done, you stand a high chance of success, regardless of the brand of disc.

Is your potential surgeon and experienced ADR surgeon?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 AM

Mark,

Thank you. That is good news to hear. Yes, my surgeon is an experienced ADR surgeon. He is head of the Neurology department at the facility and has been performing various ADR surgeries for years. I believe he has even worked on developing new discs and procedures. I haven't actually gotten to meet him yet, but have heard very good things about him. I will let everyone know more when I get more information about my surgery date.

Dan
Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 AM

Dan,
Have been giving painful torn disc 8 months so far to heal myself.
If your disc is in reasonable condition, apart from the tear, there are emerging minimal treatments aimed sealing tears and avoiding ADR or fusion.

The fibrin trial is one. Biostat® System - Spinal Restoration

Increasing research is going into anular healing and repair and will bear fruit in coming years. Unfortunately there is not the same level of $ per patient incentive driving it as found in ADR and fusion.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:08 AM

Thanks Crystal.

I have only heard a little bit so far about the fibrin injections. I was being considered for a study where they inject juvenile chondrocytes donated from Children's growth plates. I think fibrin was involved in that study. Unfortunately, the degree of the tear I have disqualified me for taking part in the study. I have been giving my back 7 years to heal and have tried all kinds of things short of surgery. I can no longer take the chronic pain and inability to do the things a 29 year old guy should be able to do. Thanks for the information. I will do some more research on the fibrin. What kinds of things have you done to treat your injury thus far?