Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Looking at next steps in my treatment plan. in the Main forums forums; Hello, I'd herniated 3 discs (c4-5,5-6,6-7) a year ago march 3/09. It took ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Arrow Looking at next steps in my treatment plan.

Hello,

I'd herniated 3 discs (c4-5,5-6,6-7) a year ago march 3/09. It took my life away. I used to ski all winter & sail all summer. I live in Stowe, VT. Thats how I would go to church.

I've had 4 epidural steroid procedures since. My doctor says no more, and I have to look at next steps in my treatment plan.

I want to know about insurance coverage of artificial discs, and any other helpful information?

I'm very encouraged from what I've read here so far. Thank You
Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Default re your injury

Sorry to hear of your spinal prob and the magnitude of it.
Have you checked your insurance re covering multi level disc cervical disc replacement? Do you have a surgeon in mind and/or have you gotten more than one opinion?

There's much information here re others with cervical disc replacement and I think you can do a search for each component of your question if you've not already altho I'm sure you'll get some helpful replies.

I wanted to welcome you to the forum and wish you the best with this endeavor. Hope you regain the ability to do all that you love in the near future
Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Hello Points North and welcome to the forum,

I'm so sorry you find yourself in need of this forum but we were/are all in a similar boat.

Though insurance companies are beginning to come around, most still don't cover ADRs. Very recently, one member was even refused for a fusion, the procedure favored by those same damned thieves. Even the new Obama plans aren't likely to cover unproven procedures, the problem being not enough studies to prove safety and effectiveness.

However, you need to speak to your doctor about that next step in your treatment plan. You need to get other opinions about the same. You need to understand your specific problem and educate yourself in effective treatments so you can participate in the ultimate treatment decision. Too many of us blame doctors for not telling us the whole story or alternative available remedies. Keep in mind if you get an opinion from a doctor who does not perform or believe in a certain procedure, (s)he is unlikely to recommend it.

I don't recall hearing of any heavy hitter from Vermont but there are several in New York if you're willing to travel. Please contact Mark at globalpatientnetwork.com for some possible referrels and/or other assistance. He is both an ADR recipient and patient advocate who has helped so many of us.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Dale
Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 AM

Ouch! Sorry you have such an extensive injury but I'm glad you've found your way here.

Good for your doctor for putting an end to repeat ESI's! Although they can be helpful, they can also be destructive to bone density and can cause other health issues, and do not resolve the underlying issues.

I have a single level cervical ADR and a friend has 3-level cervical ADR, implanted by a surgeon in LA and we are both doing well.

To the suggestions already given, I would add consulting with Dr. Yue at Yale and there are probably experienced ADR surgeons in Boston.

As for insurance, it really depends on your insurance company. Federal employee plans are mandated to cover ADR (although I don't know about 3 levels). Otherwise, it has been a battle but there have been some lucky people who did get coverage.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Administrator

see he video in this post:

OMG - It hurts!!!!! so good...

The indoor skydive range-of-motion demonstration was 11 months post-op from my 4-level cervical ADR.

Let me know if I can help you. Check out my website below.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org