Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Anyone Have This Configuration? in the Main forums forums; A transitional, partially fused, vertebrae at L5/S1....*and* an unfused disc at S1/S2? Wondering if this unfused, vestigal ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 06:37 PM

Default Anyone Have This Configuration?

A transitional, partially fused, vertebrae at L5/S1....*and* an unfused disc at S1/S2?

Wondering if this unfused, vestigal disc has caused anyone problems and what was done about it.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Administrator

If you look at AlanK on the GPN patient stories page, he had a partially fused L5-S1 that was a contra-indication to ADR at that level. He did not have the pseudo disc at S1-2... you are getting into much rarer air there.

What are you considering and how does this effect your options?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 PM

I had L5/S1 fused two years ago, for a grade V annular tear. I had some pain at that level but it was leg weakness and a feeling of instability that got me to the operating table. While the fusion took some of the pain away, the leg numbness and instability remain.

The pelvic MRI was 'normal' except for this unfused S1/S2. It's very thin, probably 1/4 the width of a lumbar disc, and has little (arthritic) facet joints. I had the facets injected with no results but I'm wondering if my problem is that the pelvic muscles are trying to reign in the sacrum because it's slightly unstable.
The doc said no, that the disc looks good and there is no movement at that level.....but if that is the case, why would the facet joints be arthritic?

Anyway, was just wondering if someone has one of these discs, if it caused them problems...and what was done about it.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Administrator

It sounds like what you are talking about is a lumbarized S1, or the presence of 6 lumbar vertebrae. When you are talking about S1-S2, is that what some might refer to as L6-S1? You have a functioning disc and facet joints at this 6th level? Your question is well taken... if its not moving, why are facets arthritic???

Has anyone considered trying discography there?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM

You say tomato.... I guess it could be considered L6/S1 but that means there's lumbarized sacral disc beneath a sacralized lumbar disc.

Anyway it is a functioning, albeit little, disc that was never considered part of the equation by any of the physiatrists and surgeons.

Don't know why I didn't think to question it at the time....but I'm now seeing a discogram in my future.

Can't decide: should thank you or slap you? LOL