Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss 16 years postop, Charite and fusion! in the Main forums forums; Last night, I had the pleasure of spending the evening in Dr. Zeegers' home, meeting some very interesting people. They ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Default 16 years postop, Charite and fusion!

Last night, I had the pleasure of spending the evening in Dr. Zeegers' home, meeting some very interesting people. They were taping a program for Belgian TV about Dr. Zeegers and some of his patients. I wish I had the opportunity to take more pictures… it was great with huge smiles and hugs all round.

Hans (photo below) was only 29 when he came to see Dr. Zeegers. His condition was much like mine; several years of disability, unable to enjoy anything because of the constant pain and everything that goes along with it. Dr. Zeegers performed a single level Charite’, plus a single level fusion that was not stable enough for ADR. Hans had a slower recovery than I did, taking six months to get better. That is one of the MAJOR differences between fusion and ADR. With the hybrid procedures, you must recover from the fusion too. In any case, since his recovery, he has never looked back. He is an athlete and has returned to his sports… now 16 years later, his back is still wonderful. (If we ever get a chance to play some tennis, I promise to teach him a lesson!)

Hans’ enthusiasm for Dr. Zeegers and helping other spine patients is very impressive. He has a notebook that he shares with anyone who inquires. It’s filled with patient testimonials and information about the procedure. It was so great to spend some time with him. He’s only the second person I’ve met in person with ADR implanted for more than a decade. His perfect condition, lack of facet problems, etc., was very encouraging.

I’m sending him an email inviting him to the forum. I hope he’ll come and post on the surgical outcomes forum and tell his story in his own words.

All the best,

Mark

Hans (16 years post-op), Mark (8 years post-op):

TV interview:
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 12-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Default looking forward

To hearing more about your trip Mark. Hans looks like a very healthy (buffed) person! Wonderful to hear that duration of his Charite implant has given him such good/renewed spinal health!

I heard on the news this morning the airport in Frankfurt is closed and has canceled many flights re the magnitude of winter storm. Hope if you're traveling home for Christmas all will go smoothly. I imagine my spine would be creaking and cracking with the weather you're out and about it!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 PM

I marvel at my 5 years - I wonder how much the successes of these very early recipients will ultimately be part of 'whole' ADR picture?

Good for him and Dr. Z
Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 PM

Awesome story, Mark. I also had Fusion ADR hybrid with Zeegers in 07 and my progress of improvement was as expected, steady improvement to the excellent outcome it is today.

If you see dr. Zeegers, please give him my greetings!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Fuzzy, he's driving me to the train station in the morning... I'll let him know.

Call me next week... I look forward to catching up with you. All the best,

Mark
Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Dale, I still hear of doctors telling potential ADR patients that they'll only last 10 years. That's ridiculous. All we've learned about materials with hips and knees is already incorporated into the current crop of ADR's. The things that cause wear... loading, range of motion and surface area are all very small in the discs compared to the other joints. Wear problems and device failures we've seen have to do with poor implantations (sizing, placement) more than anything else.

That is a great point you are making... the nay sayers will continue to ignore the long-term data gathered overseas.

Mark
Old 12-22-2010, 02:49 AM

Default Awesome!

Hey Mark, sounds like an awesome trip. You are going to have some incredible stories to tell, for sure! Please give me call when you return home.
Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) 2/2/07 with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) 11/04/10 with Prof. Dr. Reul / Beta Klinik (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM

Default Home

Mark,
Hope you made it home OK and are catching up on some z's... saw all the travel cancelations earlier out of Germany and other places so just hope you got back Ok and are resting up to share the amazing trip info whenever you've time!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM

Mark,

Ditto Maria - are you home or are you stuck somewhere? Will you be home for Christmas?

Dale
Old 12-24-2010, 06:02 AM

Default re home

I'll be in Fla. Dad's back in hosp in ICU w/resp. distress/CHF on ventilator. Going to leave tomorrow early from LAX to tampa. Got 3 coach seats to lie down on and my back is wiped out from running around/packing. Hope to sleep a few hours now. Mark hope you did get home and are resting. Catch me up on things when you've time. I'll have my cell and be in Fla indef for now.

Last edited by Maria; 12-24-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Maria,.

Not that any time of the year is better but I'm so sorry you father is ill again and you must travel during Xmas. If there's any good in this, you'll see your father for the holidays.

Hoping your father regains his health very soon, you're both in my thoughts and I wish you well. Please pace yourself.

Dale
Old 12-25-2010, 02:00 AM

Default thanks

Dale,
Dad is on a ventilator in ICU and not responsive except to touch. They're keeping him comfortable right now (high level sedation). He has CHF, pulmonary pneumonia.

Re my travel.. this was the best my backs done. I got to lay down on the flight and evens slept 2hrs thankfully as I had a huge migraine tho my back didn't really bother me at all sitting in airport for hours waiting for flight or sitting forever waiting for takeoff. The only thing is my buttocks feel like I'm sitting on bone.

gottta go.. so tired...
Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Thumbs up Big thanks to Mark

I am so amazed by all that you do Mark. This information you provide to support those who suffer with all of this is most valuable.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 AM

Default 8 yrs plus :--)

i remember being told the Prodiscs will last a lifetime, and not just limited to a ten year span, i am at 8yrs plus, and in the US Trials, i am extremely happy with my results, although my recovery time was quite a bit longer than most, i was off of wrk for a total of 2years. But all in all i am a happy camper!
After a botched spinal tap where my L4/L5 disc exploded i underwent a laminectomy in 1979, and ran from spinal surgery ever since, then in 2002 i met DrDelamarter in Santa Monica- and my life as i knew it changed dramatically, I consider myself the "ProdiscPosterBoy" I am in the US Trials and one of the first in California to recieve 2 Lumbar Prodiscs, nomorepain-nomoremeds