Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Why do discs herniate? in the Main forums forums; Why do discs herniate? It seems like a pretty simple and straight forward question, but when the herniation of the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Default Why do discs herniate?

Why do discs herniate?
It seems like a pretty simple and straight forward question, but when the herniation of the disc, is not caused by any sort of trauma, your lifestyle is pretty normal - and by that I mean, I`m not a football player, I`m not a stuntman/woman, I`m not a ballet dancer, etc. I don`t have disc compressions at any level, I don`t have scoliosis or lordosis, what is the cause for a disc to herniate??
The answer I`m getting is usually "GENETIC".....translate....I have no IDEA!!!
Apparently, but for what I read hasn`t been proven yet, in some individuals, the gel material that makes the discs, doesn`t have the proper "density" and that`s why it moves.
Some other doctors told me that the problem, in some individuals, is the membrane that surrounds the discs that - for whatever reason- tends to be too soft, letting the disc come out, or too little flexible, with tendency to lacerate, and let the disc out.
I cannot believe that I can`t find any more specific answers about this problem or find a way to make my disc more healthier or the membrane around the discs stronger. Has any of you heard of any remedy, even with alternative medicine? Any supplement or vitamin that can improve the "quality" of discs?
Any study that I can read or Dr. that I can talk too?

Sorry for my frustration......

I have 4 herniated discs in my neck, 4 in my thoracic, and I haven`t even look at my lumbar yet, but not apparent reason for all this to happen.

Thanks all for your help

Patty

Last edited by Pattygo; 01-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Genetics do play a very large part but - a lifestyle which includes drinking enough water daily to keep discs healthy and hydrated also plays a role.

Also, other genetic factors can play a role, such as having one leg longer than the other which instead of scoliosis, kept my hips uneven which took its toll on my spine. Perhaps if I drank enough water all my life it could have made a difference but no, I hardly drank anything all day - for years.

Who knows what may have been, it wasn't, that's all. But taking care of your spine should begin at an early age. Too bad our young aren't educated enough.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 AM

dshobbies,
I completely agree with you. Not only our young aren`t educated, nobody is educated enough when it comes to maintaining a healthy spine. This is such a wide spread problem, effecting millions of people in the world. It seems to me that the majority of the efforts are spent into finding solutions once the damage has been done, and very little effort in try to understand and prevent why this is happening more and more.
I`m grateful that ADR exists, and that many incredible surgeons are specialized in different technics to fix our problems and make our lives better, but we need more research and studies looking into prevention.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Could mucopolysaccarides help?
maybe glucosamine and/or condroitin?
Eating fish broth or bone broth, for collagen?
Any self-help idea?

My disk is not herniated, but degenerated...almost died.
I have inflammation in vertebrae and disk...I do not understand
if it is mechanical or chemical inflammation....some people
say the degenerated disk is releasing acid polysaccarides and
toxic chemicals...
carla
Old 01-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Default check out

ChiroGeek's Home Page
good information source
Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM

I checked and found nothing "evidence based"...
Just out of curiosity I found that "muscone" is a promising agent
for treating intervertebral disc degeneration...also, Okuma et al.
showed that oral administration of CPA -926 (an esculetin prodrug)can prevent or delay the onset of disc-height loss....

I do not trust stem cells because I have heard they are carcinogenic.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 PM

Perhaps outside products can help, perhaps not. But for my money, I believe the best thing you can do for your back, aside from the obvious do's and don't's is keep your discs hydrated which means drinking plenty of water.

Too often, as a small child my parents wouldn't let me drink anything before or during dinner in fears it would hurt my appetite. As a teenager, I could literally go all day without drinking anything. Bad - wrong -bad- wrong.

As a parent or grandparent, let your kids drink water all they want. If they're growing, they will have an appetite regardless of how much they drink. And to tell you the truth, I have never seen a cared for - malnurished child. Children are hungry when they are growing and not so much when they are not. Aside from the sweets, children will definitely eat when they need it. I know it's a daily battle but despite your reluctance - let them drink... You can even dilute fruit juice and they'll still like it.

Just my two cents-
Old 01-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
ChiroGeek's Home Page
good information source
I wonder how Doug is doing these days.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 AM

Default good question

It seems I recall back some years ago he was going to attend medical school or was in that process? I haven't checked his site to see if there is a recent update just to refer people there.

Last edited by Maria; 01-16-2011 at 10:52 AM.