Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Attn Women Re Steriod Injections & Menstral Cycles in the Main forums forums; If you have any questions, please feel welcome to send me a private message. I had facet injections done back ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 01:54 AM

Default Attn Women Re Steriod Injections & Menstral Cycles

If you have any questions, please feel welcome to send me a private message. I had facet injections done back on 12/28/2010 and then Rhizotomy on 1/13/2011 and I have something to share of you want to know. -Cheryl
Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 PM

Default okay really anyone?

I had test facet injections done 12/28, my period was due to start 1/2, it did not. two weeks later some spotting, but nothing. up until now i was like a clock. every 29 days....then i have the rhizotomy done 1/13 again two weeks later spotting but no period. i had read that this can happen, but when i asked the doctors about it that did the rhizotomy they asked if i was pre-menopausal. i said that i did not think so since i have been on the dot every 29 days forever, my flow has not changed and no hot flashes, no weight changes, no loss of interest, ect. i don't know it kind of p&$sed me off. i wasn't trying to insinuate that they did anything wrong, i just wanted some reassurance. guess i should call my gyn and make an appointment. i mean really pre-menopause doesn't happen over night and nither does cancer. my last check up was in Nov. 2010 and everything was fine.... those injections do have steriods for crying out loud.

Last edited by cherylstewart67; 01-27-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 AM

Default steroidal component or other medication

As I recall steroidal medication as well as certain other meds can affect the onset of menses such as with delay or even a missed period or just spotting so I don't think this is at all unusual. Sure you could be perimenopausal though even that is about a 12 year period. Most women follow their mothers more or less in terms of when they will experience onset of true menopause that is unless they have it surgically induced. Most likely you'll regulate again if you don't have any injections for a while. Editing to add that of course as you know stress (physiologic or emotional) can also cause change in menses though yours sounds related to your recent injections.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Default Thank you Maria

I mean they had me so upset and freaking out...My mother had regular cycles until her mid 50's. The only reason she had a hysterectomy was because of fibriod tumors of which I do not have. MY job is very stressful and with my medical issues together with that it no wonder after these injections that I am off right now. Thank you for your calming words....
Old 01-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Sorry no one was interested - maybe 10-15 years ago I would have been more interested but I will add that menapause sucks

I realize you're concerned and yes, you should talk to your gyn but I think this will resolve itself in short order.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Default ditto

Sorry if I didn't initially reply~ I went thru menopause (or as I call it mentalpause) nearly 7 years ago and was very glad of it! Well actually going thru it was a pain though being through w/it has been GREAT!

As Dale mentioned I would still bring up the irregularity of your menses and mention the injections you're getting just to make sure your GYN thinks it's normal however I believe it's a more common experience than not when it comes to some irregularity of menses with various medications. Still keep your GYN informed.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM

Default it's off topic somewhat

I know it's off topic to a degree, but it was my spine injections that put this in motion. i am going to give it another 2 weeks and if it doesn't settle back to normal, then I will see my gyn. Thanks guys, Cheryl
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 PM

Default Update

My cycle regulated on Feb 1st. I had facet injections 12/28 my period was due Jan 1st. It did not start, 2 weeks later I had spotting. Then I had the actual rhizotomy 1/13. Again two weeks later some spotting. They also gave me some steriod with the rhizotomy as well. Finall Feb 1st my period came. So it was 2 week intervals each time. So it is my experience that these types of injections can interfere with our cycles. It looks as though all is normal now. Thank you to those who helpd ease my concerns....
Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 AM

Cheryl i am glad everything worked out for you. I have endocrine problems which mess up; all my hormones and have had that type of spotting on and off for a few years. Yes, i blamed it all on the steroids that my body was hyper producing. Then my body stopped producing cortisol and another steroid all together . all effects my period. I don't know if i went through menipause or not, just steroid upheaval.
judy