Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Ontario ADR surgeons? in the Main forums forums; Recently I've been having doubts on the surgery I am scheduled to have this May. Right now I am ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 PM

Default Ontario ADR surgeons?

Recently I've been having doubts on the surgery I am scheduled to have this May. Right now I am a patient of Dr. Ahn at St. Michaels Hospital in Toronto. He is only willing to do ADR on my L5/S1 with a fusion at L4/L5. It seems the consensus of this forum that the surgery should be done the other way around!

I was wondering if there is anyone on here who has found excellent doctors in Ontario, preferably the Toronto area. I am looking for someone with experience willing to do ADR on both levels, or a fusion with the ADR at L4/L5.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome! If you know of any other doctors in Canada too that would be helpful.

Christina
Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Christina,

I'm actually responding to your other post about Germany. I was petrified about going to a foreign country for surgery, especially Germany but it was a complete waste of my time.

Dr. Bertagnoli is an exacting surgeon and his staff is required to take English lessons. The care I received there was better than in any American hospital. The only thing that didn't translate was the food

Dr. Zeegers is equally exacting but I'm not sure if he's still in Germany. Mark will know GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR.

Mark can also, via his website, post your profile for an internet consult with both doctors and/or others as you prefer. He can also facilitate the scheduling of a surgery if that's how you want to proceed. His fees are quite reasonable. Via the consultations, doctors can offer their advice and recommendations.

I'm not familiar with Canada's insurance but I doubt this would be covered. Depending on the exchange rate, here in the US, the cost of surgery is Germany is usually half or less.

You'd want to stay about 1-2 weeks post I stayed 2 1/2 weeks and even with complications, I would have felt comfortable with just 2 weeks. Less, not me but others have been comfortable with just a few days. You'll also want to have a doctor near your home lined up to see to your post op care.

I just want to add that I felt overwhelmed. I didn't know which way to turn or what to do, when, with whom, etc. I was turned on to Mark and he became my guardian angel. My suggestion is you start with him. He's calming and a voice of reason during this quite insane time in your life. In fact, just remembering this time, the angst reared its ugly head for a moment.

I'm sorry for your plight. We all know what you're going through but we are here to help. You feel like you're boucing off the walls in a rubber room. No need- just put one foot in front of the other and you'll get there.

Good luck to you, Dale
Old 03-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Administrator

I will send you Melanie's email address... see my story page. She was dealing with ontario ADR surgeons back in '04.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org