Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Having problems choosing Surgeons in the Main forums forums; Hey everyone, I'm new here. I had a 360 lumbar fusion at L5/S1 in May 2008. It didn'...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Default Having problems choosing Surgeons

Hey everyone,
I'm new here. I had a 360 lumbar fusion at L5/S1 in May 2008. It didn't fuse and I have a loose screw in the back part of the hardware. I got a second opinion months ago from an orthopedic surgeon and he wants to go in through the front, remove the metal plate, take out all the bone graft and put in a new bone material since the BMP didn't fuse me. He syas the screw is loose cause the plastic containing the BMP is crushed. He will also give me another bone growth stimulator and a big belt to wear. He has confirmed I'm not fused with x-rays and a CT scan. I also have a loose screw in the back part of the hardware.

Didn't feel comfortable with that, so I went to Cedars Sinai and got a third opinion from a supposedly "really" good neurosurgeon Dr. Frank Acosta. He said he would never go back in through the front because of all the problems that can happen. He said he would go in through the back, add more BMP, put bigger screws in the hardware. He would also give me a bone growth stimulator and a huge belt to wear. He did digital x-rays and an MRI a few weeks ago but I haven't heard about that yet. He also has the CT scan from the second opinion surgeon and agrees I'm not fused. What do you guys think? Also I have workers comp. I don't know who else to get an opinion from.

Last edited by jbcool35; 04-17-2011 at 09:55 PM.