Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss 7 month update in the Main forums forums; 7 months ago i had a double level fusion, and a double level disc replacement. I had gotten into an ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 AM

Default 7 month update

7 months ago i had a double level fusion, and a double level disc replacement. I had gotten into an auto accident at work. I could barely walk. had pain in both legs,in groin , and lower back. Had surgery Sept 23rd. Dr Rick Delamarter was my surgeon. Recovery was a lot harder than i had expected. After a couple months i was able to cut down on pain meds, and walk over a mile. 7 months out of surgery my fusion is almost all the way fused. I am able to walk over a mile. Ive only had to take pain meds on rare occasions. Once was while visiting Las Vegas, way to much walking. I have a 3 year old i am able to play with. I will be starting Physical therapy next month. DR want fusion fully healed before i started. Im still wearing my back brace 24/7. So far so good.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:34 AM

Default good going

All this at the 7th month mark! wow! Sounds like you're doing GREAT!

I had surgery authorized w/Dr.Delamarter back in 2005 and didn't do it. Now doubtful I'm even a candidate for same thing tho my symptoms aren't the same either (as bad). Still on low dose opioid pain med tho. Seems just to be part of my life these days (and laxatives). Sure would love to lose the need for the latter tho (and the pain med too).

So big congrats on your progress and keep going tho hopefully w/o overdoing too much! Thanks for posting your update and success w/Dr.D and double hybrid surgery (maybe that's not what it's called).
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Joejoe,

The long recovery process takes just about everyone by surprise. For me, 6 months before I could cut out the narcotics and 2 years before giving up Neurontin. I still need an anti-inflammatory daily.

Fusion does seem to take a little longer than ADRs but you had both. Your spine is saying 'what the ---'.

Take is slow and don't rush the healing. Sounds like you're doing great!

Dale
Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Joe JOe you are making me think hard about my recovery times. I had surgery on sept 24th with 2 osteotomies and fusion of 13 levels and some other laminotiomies or something similar. Then the big surgery on Jan 7th to repair my broken neck. then 9 levels worked on and fused, some redo's. I expected to be out of braces and back to normal. thanks for getting me back to earth.

sound like you are doing great though. Just takes a lot more time than we were thinking that is for sure.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Default Pics

I just added a few pics. 1 is from the first x ray, the other 2 are from last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20101008_120217.jpg (59.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0453.jpg (80.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.jpg (93.6 KB, 6 views)