Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Bone scan done - nothing there in the Main forums forums; I had the bone scan today. They inject you with a radioactive isotope. You come back 2 hours later and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Default Bone scan done - nothing there

I had the bone scan today. They inject you with a radioactive isotope. You come back 2 hours later and get into a contraption that is much like an MRI, but it's a 'gamma camera'. Tumors, fractures, infections, and areas of inflammation show up as areas of increased uptake of the isotope. Hot spots look like black discs or just darker areas.

I'll post images later so you can see what this is all about, but the result for me is not good. There is still no explanation of my pain syndrome that has been quite bad lately. At least 2 or 3 days a week, I wake up with a pain level of 8 or 9. These high pain episodes only last a few hours, but the rest of the day is not great either, just not writhing in pain. A few days a week, I'll get some relief and feel OK for a few hours, but these times are getting fewer, farther between and not lasting as long as they used to.

bummer,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 10-21-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 AM

Mark i am so sorry. last time i saw you i thought you were in pain. I too had a bone scan which did not find anything relevant for me , just 2 fractured ribs. Explained that discomfort , but as you know it is nothing compared to the thoracic pain.
What is the next step for you?
sorry again
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 AM

Default re results

Hey Mark,
Really sorry to read that you're dealing with pain levels at any time that's as high as that even if it lasts only several hours. Any thought as to why it's that high when you awaken? Positioning? Are you able to sleep ok or do you have pain with this as well?

I've had a bone scan too but it was quite some time ago. What's next re diagnostics?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:21 AM

Ohh,holly *hit. nothing there on the bone scan...im so now,since i know what is feeling to fight with this frustrating thoracic pain.
Worst thing is not get final diagnose,but i hope you will find it over time.
Yeah,like other ask,,,what is your next plan?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Mark,

Your frustration levels are off the charts, and justifiably so. Just wondering, how often- how much time do you spend in the zero gravity position? It's not a fix but might make you more comfortable. Finding so much relief in that position myself, I'm a big advocate. You can buy the pillows that will turn the couch or bed, even the floor, into a more comfortable respite at Relax the Back.

Also, how often do you ice down the area? You can buy a medical ice machine (I think) that would rap your back while you sleep, perhaps allowing you to wake up with less pain levels? What about sleeping with a lidocaine patch? In short ?????????

I'm truly sorry you're suffering so much. You've reached out to help so many others but can't help yourself. It sucks!

Dale
Old 11-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Mark , sorry you have no answer.Was the bone scan done with F18NAF tracer?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Thoracic pain

Mark - can you elaborate re your pain and how long this has been going on? I know I had a sprained muscle / ligament in my lumbar area that was very painful for 6 - 9 months. I had PRP and prolotherapy injections to finally get rid of it. Yours sounds like something worse and different. I will be praying for you.

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/09 Piriformis surgery to remove piriformis muscle causing sciatica
Old 11-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Finally... I seem to be coming around. Not huge news, just a little better after such a long bout of high pain levels every day, in spite of ridiculously low activity levels.

Rob, this has been going on more than 2 years. Summer of 2009 is when I started to notice that the thoracic pain was a serious issue.

I don't know if proo might be a possibility. I doubt it. I'll bring it up with my PM at my next appt.

Thanks for your prayers!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Default Have You Had T-Spine Epidural

Hi Mark,

I remember that you had posted (quite some time ago) that you were looking into having an epidural injection for your thoracic spine pain. Were you able to have it done? I ask this because I have similar issues. My fusion at c6-c7 has caused c7-t1 to degenerate. My interventional pain management has helped with four level rf ablation in my c-spine and that has calmed it a bit. The best management of my t-spine was been via epidural injection at t5-t6.

Also, I noticed that my cervical spine crap radiates to my t-spine. I found this out when I was in my car and I put my head against the head rest. Pain shot from my neck down to my t-spine.

I wish you well and hope that you get some relief soon....Thelma

Prodisc ADR L3-4-5, 08/2003 Dr. Bertagnoli
Failed Fusion C5-6 03/2005
Sarcoidosis
Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

I don't think necrotic bone can give you the pain symptoms that you describe. It could be steroid rebound, an inflammatory response, nerve damage, spinal subluxation, chronic pain syndrome, metal allergy, MS ....

I heard that with some people if they bring them out of anesthesia wrong they can have things like chronic pain and panic attacks. Going under again and being brought back out can stop it. There could be some sort of brain based neurological cause.

This is a little bit dangerous but if you know a martial arts guy who knows chokes have him choke you out. When you come to you may be out of pain.

One thing that helped me a bit was accupuncture with electric stimulation. Your spinal cord my be hyper reflexive. There is a technique called dry needling where they place needles in muscle spasms and it calms them down. Even if you don't have spasms this technique may work.

There is a nerve plexus on the neck near the ear lobe. Gently tapping that can stop pain. Sounds like hocus pocus but try it.

I may try hypnosis. I have done EFT Emotional Freedom Technique and it really worked. Placebo? Maybe but I'm a skeptic.

An ESI can cause pain. Cortisone is nasty stuff and it can crystalize. It may be moving around in your spine and that would explain the intermittent pain levels.

At this point the MD are still unable to tell you what the deal is so try other stuff.

Last edited by ADR seeker; 11-12-2011 at 07:59 AM.