Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Any conservative care success stories? in the Main forums forums; Hello, this is my first post. i was in an mva 4 months ago and the side impact caused fracture ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 AM

Default Any conservative care success stories?

Hello,
this is my first post. i was in an mva 4 months ago and the side impact caused fracture and 15% compression of my L5 as well as disc bulges at 4/5 and 5/S1.

The fracture is slowly mending so far but disc bulges are no better and significant posterior disc height has been lost, but not anterior. Some annular tears have appeared at the two discs as well.

Surgery has not been recommended so far. I am in constant pain in lower back and buttocks, even without working since the accident. It is not certain that no other joint damage occurred, such as pelvic region, though nothing major showed up on mri of this area.

I was wondering if there are any non surgery success stories posted here somewhere, as i am badly in need of some inspiration at this point, especially any images of reduced disc bulges/protrusions achieved by the patients own body over time. thanks and regards. Deb
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM

I fight with this pain 10 years. If you have annular tear,i think the pain is discogenic. Over long period no one ever suggest surgery,until now. After i did discography whic was totaly positive,they recomend surgery to fix annular tears. Please dont wait so much,because than is late for everything. Search for good doctor,who gona help you,not just give you the pills etc....
Old 12-06-2011, 04:11 AM

WElcome Deb,
Has your doctor suggested any help in relieving your pain? I have had lumbar epidural injections which have helped tremendously. Of course you can see by my signature that i have also had tons of surgery too.
Just wanted to welcome you as i did not have any luck for the most part with conservative care.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 12-06-2011, 12:07 PM

Deb,

I think each case is different. Your Annular tears and disc bulges could have been there before the MVA and may have nothing to do with your problem. Or maybe a flare up of an existing pathology.

Your pain could stem from muscular spasms due to the MVA.

Did the MRI show any disc compression? If a surgeon can not correlate your symptoms with radiological findings I wouldn't rush into surgery.

I know it's seems like an eternity, but 4 months is not that long of a time with what your dealing with. Try and give your back a little more time to heal naturally. Easier said than done.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Deb,
CP sounds like a good advice post. Have you tried medication for muscle spasms? how about acupuncture? I had some breaks in my spine including my neck which resulted in no choice but surgery. Also my spine curve was effecting my breathing so that was also an easy decision to have surgery. but CP is correct and no spine surgeon will operate without the radiological confirmation of the pain. I should say they shouldn't as far as what I have learned.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 AM

I was also injured in a MVA, with c5/6 extrusion, among other injuries to shoulders and wrist. Physical therapy, including traction, massage and prescribed exercises held off surgery for 7 years--in the sense of easing but not eradicating symptoms--but when signs of spinal instability appeared, surgery was necessary.