Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Help with MRI results in the Main forums forums; After a couple years of left upper thigh being numb I had an MRI in Jan. Last week I dont ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Default Help with MRI results

After a couple years of left upper thigh being numb I had an MRI in Jan. Last week I dont know what happened but i am in a great amount of pain in lower back and left leg. had a hip replacement in 2000 on right side with nerve damage and have groin pain there constant but has gotten worse. So here is what the MRI says about the old back. L3 L4 some facet and ligmentum hypertrophy without significant canal stenosis and there is narrowing of the neural foramina . Small left lateral rent at l3 l4 neural foramen narrowing on right. L4 L5 small broad based disc displacement with minimal narrowing of right neural foramen as compared to the left. No significant canal stenosis. After asking Dr about the numbness and burning for a while and he kept telling me I slept wrong I just gave up. Finally had MRI done and Dr never brought the results up so I figured No problems. When it got worse I went and got the report and I still dont know anymore than I did. Would someone please help been down over a week.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Your MRI report does not sound too exciting.... "without significant canal stenosis", "small rent", "small disc displacement", "no siginificant canal stenosis".... You'll probably get answers similar to what I got early in my career as a spine patient:
  • "your films look too good for you to be reporting the kind of pain you are reporting" or,

• "I could pull 100 45 year-old men off the street who have NO symptoms and 1/2 of them would have an MRI that looks worse than yours.
Unfortunately, that does not help you. While both of those statements may seem true, even the parts of your spine that don't look too bad could be causing your problems.

Since you have a total hip replacement, the next joint in line for adjacent disease would be your SI joint. Has that been evaluated by someone who knows SI joint dysfunction?

How old is your MRI and does it predate an injury or substantial change in symptoms? Maybe it is out of date?

Good luck!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
Your MRI report does not sound too exciting.... "without significant canal stenosis", "small rent", "small disc displacement", "no siginificant canal stenosis".... You'll probably get answers similar to what I got early in my career as a spine patient:
  • "your films look too good for you to be reporting the kind of pain you are reporting" or,

• "I could pull 100 45 year-old men off the street who have NO symptoms and 1/2 of them would have an MRI that looks worse than yours.
Unfortunately, that does not help you. While both of those statements may seem true, even the parts of your spine that don't look too bad could be causing your problems.

Since you have a total hip replacement, the next joint in line for adjacent disease would be your SI joint. Has that been evaluated by someone who knows SI joint dysfunction?

How old is your MRI and does it predate an injury or substantial change in symptoms? Maybe it is out of date?

Good luck!

Mark
MRI in Jan of this year. What did U finally have to do. I live in a 2 stop light town with very few Drs and even less answers. Thanks mark
Old 05-26-2012, 12:38 AM

In addition to what Mmgobal said you may want to try Physical Therapy.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foley73 View Post
.... What did U finally have to do. I live in a 2 stop light town with very few Drs and even less answers. Thanks mark
You must get to a doctor who embraces the new technologies. That will likely mean going out of town. I would not trust a doctor that does not frequently do ADR's to tell me that I'm not a candidate.

Unfortunately, like most of the ADR patients I know... I had to go overseas and self pay for my surgery. (22,000 Euro, at that time it was worth $22,000 US)
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 PM

Default adr can be approved for single level here in the usa

but if it's more than that you would have to go to Germany, London, or Brazil to name a few... i wish i could have.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Default every ones pain if different

just becasue your mri says slight or mild does not mean it' not causing you real pain. you may need a ct mylogram. but i cation you about the dyes; it can lead to kidney issues.