Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Bulge of L4 and LL disc in the Main forums forums; I have a bluge in my L4 and L5 disc. I just received my 5th cortisone injection with in 4 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 PM

Default Bulge of L4 and LL disc

I have a bluge in my L4 and L5 disc. I just received my 5th cortisone injection with in 4 months. First two were in one nerve and second one was on both sides higher up. I went for an electronic mapping which showed it was actyually pinching s1 nerve and this is my second injection in this location. I am concerned about the number of injections in such a s short amount of time, They tell me a surgeon would not do anything for me and I do not want another injection if this one doesn't produce results. Previous injections were unsucessful. The last one is the only one which provide any relief. I had a negiative reaction to the second and now take Benadryl before each one and after. I have suffered with this for a year and have had trouble off and one for multiple years. I went a Chiropractor, Accupuncturist and have been through the gamit of anti-inflaitories. I prsently take Naproxen 2X's a day. They wanted to give me Hydrocodone. I need ideas on where to go next. My own Physician insists that I be conseitive witrh my approach and the pain management Dr. has just continued injecting me. I have seen that there maybe other options but I need some thoughts. Thanks for anything you can give me.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 AM

Have you tried Physical Therapy?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 AM

I found that pain management at the local university teaching hospital was best. Unlike a practicing PM doctor who only want to give injections so they make money, the university hospital will help you with meds. I'm on gabapentin and tramadol. I still deal with a good amount of pain but at least the meds take the edge off. I have a bulged and herniated L45. I've been living with it for years. I keep my core muscles toned. I don't know if or how much it helps but I do the exercises almost every day. I hope you find a path to reduce your pain.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy