Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Can somebody tell me what this means (MRI Findings) in the Main forums forums; New guy here, have had ongoing pain my upper back for a few years now. Can anybody tell me what ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 AM

Default Can somebody tell me what this means (MRI Findings)

New guy here, have had ongoing pain my upper back for a few years now. Can anybody tell me what this report indicates? Particularly the modic type II degenerative changes...Google has been no help. Thanks.

FINDINGS: There is minimal decrease in vertebral height of the T6 vertebral
body. Mild increased T1 and T2 signal intensity involving the superior endplate of the T6 vertebral body. Incidentally noted 8 mm hemangioma within the posterior T4 vertebral body. Otherwise, there is normal bone marrow signal intensity throughout.

The spinal cord shows normal signal intensity and caliber throughout. No abnormal T2 signal intensity within the substance of the spinal cord.
The spinal cord terminates at a normal anatomic level.

CONCLUSION: Findings likely representing remote mild compression fracture
deformity of the T6 vertebral body as described with associated Modic
Type II superior endplate degenerative changes.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum!!!

I'm not a doctor and may be completely wrong... but here goes...

The hemangioma is a benign mass/tumor of blood vessels. As I understand it, they are not significant unless they are putting pressure on nerves or spinal cord or other sensitive area. Yours is contained in the T4 vertebra.

Does your pain correspond to the compression fracture? I would think that if it was years old, it would have stabilized by now. I had a young client (late teens) with a compression fracture. They recommended that they leave it alone if it is not causing problems.

Here is another story about a cervical compression fracture that healed up without surgery. Success Story

In some cases, they'll stabilize a compression fracture by injecting some 'bone cement' into the fractured vertebra.

As I understand it, modic changes are the predictable changes that occur in the vertebral bodies next to degenerative discs. I can't describe them now... but a google search will yield some quick definitions. These changes are not necessarily an issue. They just show how far down the degenerative cascade the system is. I believe that the name comes from the doctor that first classified these changes... Dr. Modic.

Note that severe degeneration with substantial changes MAY be asymptomatic, while discs that don't look very bad can still be highly symptomatic.

I think you'll find this page interesting and useful. The Modic Vertebral Endplate and Marrow Changes: Pathologic Significance and Relation to Low Back Pain and Segmental Instability of the Lumbar Spine

Good luck... please keep us posted as you make progress.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 PM

mmglobal,

Thanks for the information!

My back pain (directly over the spine) has been a constant since mid 2008 when I incurred the stress fracture. I tried to ignore it for a long time, but it gradually got worse and "spread" to the left side of my back when I finally went to a doctor.

I was on tramadol & muscle relaxors constantly, as well as stronger pain medicines occasionally. Went through physical therapy which decreased the pain on the left of my back only. Had trigger point injections and finally ESI's. The ESI's resolved most of my problems (except for a constant, annoying ache) for about 1 year, but then the pain starting return earlier this year.

I am going to have more injections next month and hopefully will get the same relief.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Do you have pain lying down or otherwise unloading the spine? Does it get worse with loading? Do you live in fear of a sneeze or minor stumble?

If these are true... ask your doctor if discography is indicated.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org