Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Discogram more painful than 3 lvl fusion? in the Main forums forums; Hi there! I'm new here, so I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules! I tried making sure ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 PM

Question Discogram more painful than 3 lvl fusion?

Hi there! I'm new here, so I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules! I tried making sure I wouldn't, but it's hard to navigate from my iPhone.

Two days ago, I had a discogram to test my 3 bad discs (lumbar). If you do not want to be scared before yours, stop reading now. I am the type that likes to over hype myself, so I know what I'm getting into. Let's put it this way- I've given birth to 4 kids. I've had gallstones. I've had my large toenail surgically removed without the lidocaine working. I researched this procedure, as well as know off hand, as my husband has had one. I was so "hyped", my BP was 188/115. Let's just say that the discogram was the WORST pain Ive ever felt. I sobbed, screamed, almost fell off the table, and said the "F word" at least a dozen times, something unusual for me. It turns out that L 3-4 is a grade 5 (the worst) and L4-5 and L5-S1 are grade 4. Rated all at 10/10 pain, but the grade 5 was a 50 out of 10. The Dr said its likely that a 3 level fusion is what's required, but my "real appt" isnt until the 25th to speak to the surgeon team, who are rated 6th in the US. My question is, will the recovery from the fusion be as bad as the discogram? How would you compare the recovery? The night of, I was still in excrutiating pain that dilaudid was not helping. Here is a little more back ground for those of you that can hopefully help!

In 99, at 19, I injured by back. 3 discs were bulging per the MRI. In the last year, it has gotten in tolerable. An MRI last year said I had have 3 herniated/torn discs, spinal stenosis, facet athropy, and SI joint issues. After numerous PT, injections, etc, I decided to go through with the discogram. My husband was wounded and disabled in Iraq, and went this road. I remember how painful his discogram was. Then his 2 level fusion had complications, leaving him in a wheel chair for 2 years, ultimately having to retire from the army at 30. Of course that had me against the fusion for a while. Then came this, and I cannot function without major meds, and a cane everyday. I have 4 children, and am only 32. They say a 3 level on a 32 year old is a terrible thing. But my surgeon said all 3 were too bad to salvage. They've initially said that they would go through my stomach (even though as a woman, Id rather not have a scar there. Would that make recovery easier or harder than through the back? Anyhow, please be honest. Even if it's bad. I'm also in a rush to have this done before school starts the end of August. Pushing it, I know.**Thanks for reading. Have a great day!