Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Posterior Laminectomy ... C Spine in the Main forums forums; So to start I will give the back story. I had a dual level fusion, C4/5 C5/6 on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Default Posterior Laminectomy ... C Spine

So to start I will give the back story. I had a dual level fusion, C4/5 C5/6 on August 27th. At the time the doctor also planned to do a posterior laminectomy in conjunction with the ACDF. However, the area I am stationed in (New Orleans area) got hit by a hurricane and the doctor determined it would be a bad idea to do both surgeries together with the area in such turmoil. We had to go ahead with at least the ACDF due to the fact that my spine was almost fully pinched and I was in danger of paralysis. Anyway, fast forward 8 weeks and I have a follow up with my Dr. (2nd followup to be exact) and he says that due to the problems I am still having that he feels we should go forward with the laminectomy surgery. My overall diagnosis was intervertebral disc herneation with myelopathy, cervical stenosis with myelopathy, and cervical spondylosis with myelopathy.

I am 28 years old active duty US Navy. The main point of this post is I am trying to get people's experiences with regards to recovering from a laminectomy of the cervical spine. I can't seem to find anything really that matches up. One site says day surgery another says 5 days in hospital one says realtively quick recovery another says months.

More Back Story / Symptoms

My lower left forearm feels like it is constantly on fire plus my ring and pinky finger on both hands are still numb. I have lost 20 pounds of strength in my left hand since my original ACDF surgery which freaked my physical therapist out and I think may be what prompted my Neurosurgeon to put the final nail in wanting me to get the laminectomy done.

As to what caused my issues it is a long drawn out story so if you don't want to read it stop now haha.

In 2007 I started having severe shoulder pains after tripping out of the back end of a 7 ton (military transport vehicle). I went to a military doctor and they said I had damaged the muscle in my shoulder and that it should go away with time. 6 months later I was still having pretty rough pain in my shoulder and neck along with stiffness. I went to a military doctor again and they sent me to a chiropractor for adjustments and electric stimulation to try and heal the muscle. Quit going to the chiropractor after 3 months, I was fed up with the process and decided to just deal with the pain. Purchased a personal use TENS machine which has been a god send for a while. 8 months ago I started having tingling an numbness in my left pinky and ring fingers. Went to a military doctor and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and given a wrist brace and neurotin to try for 30 days to see if it helped. By the time 30 days were up I had electric shooting pains in both my legs and pain/sensitivity in my left forearm. This prompted my military doctor to set me up to see a neurologist. Took 2 months to get into the neurologist and they tested me, again for carpal tunnel. The neurologist had to do what Tricare approved her for however she put in a request back to my military doctor for a cervical MRI. That took about 3 weeks to get approved. Finally had an MRI and within 2 hours of the MRI I get a call from my military doctor telling me they are putting me in for an emergency consult with a neurosurgeon and that I need to be careful until I get in to see him. Took 1 week to see the neurosurgeon. He informed me that my spine was nearly fully compressed that I had a herniated disc, congenital spinal stenosis, both with myelopathy, and that if I did not have surgery there was every likelihood that I would end up paralyzed. So that my back story. Sorry its kinda lengthy.

Last edited by bpreachers; 10-30-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 AM

Hello! I'm sorry for all the problems you've had. My niece is in the Army and had a similar situation with them taking way to long to take her issue (not spinal) seriously. I had a multi-level ACDF (C4-7) in Nov 2011. I was in the hospital 24 hours and the recovery went well with my return to work at 7 weeks. I just had multi-level laminectomies with fusion in the thoracic spine (T3-4, 5-6 and 9-10) and was in the hospital 5 days. I'm at 8 weeks post-op now and doing well. I returned to work (desk type computer) part-time last week. I'm scheduled for a lumbar laminectiony with fusion (L2-S1) on 13 Nov and have been told to expect about the same. Don't know if that translates to a laminectomy in the neck, but maybe it'll help. Based on what I've read, people's experiences really differ, so it's hard to say what the recovery will be like. But I can say that you definitely need not to rush the recovery and to take it easy. I know that it may be hard with the military and the physical work you all have to do, but try to take it as easy as you can. Hopefully the laminectomy will work for you. I saw immediate relief from several of my pain points with this last surgery. I waited too long (several years) to get the cervical work done and it looks like the pain/tingling in my left forearm, pinky and ring fingers may be permanent. So do go forward with it and try to stay positive. Good luck with it! Best wishes and thanks for serving!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:35 AM

Finally had my surgery after some set backs and reschedules. Surgery was 13 December and was quite a bit larger than originally planned. Ebded up being a full posterior laminectomy with decompression and fusion from level C3 - T4.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 AM

Good luck with your recovery and don't let them push you back to work too soon. I am fused from C4 through L5 and know about long fusions.Just let this all heal !
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsewell View Post
Good luck with your recovery and don't let them push you back to work too soon. I am fused from C4 through L5 and know about long fusions.Just let this all heal !
judy
Sadly in the military I don't have too much of an option on returning to work. As of right now I am getting 4 weeks recovery, maybe 6 if I can get it justified.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 AM

Hope you are doing ok. I had my surgery on 13 Nov and am at 6 weeks now. Although the surgical pain is gone, new pain is developing in my legs -- unclear the cause at this point. I don't know how you'll be able to go back to your type of work. In talking with my niece about your situation, she suggested that you go outside the military system to a private dr to get a review of your medical condition and use that to work with your navy doc and command for additional time and/or restricted duties. With the extensiveness of your surgery, you'll need a lot more time to ensure the fusion takes and you don't do more damage. That's esp importantly given the location of your surgery since further damage could be catastrophic. My niece hasn't contacted a private doc yet herself, but one of her nco's suggested it to her. You'd have to pay out of pocket, but a lot of docs will give you a self-pay discount. Don't know if that helps at all, but hope you're able to get through this without much trouble! Best wishes to you!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 PM

It seems that with a significent operation one needs at least 6 weeks.

How are you doing. i read your story with much interest due to your original diagnosis, back story of cervical myleopathy. I was also diagnosed with this and after my surgery in 09 I still have a lot of problems and increasing.

Would you discuss how you ended up with a much bigger surgery then expected. Was this known before they opened you up or did they decide during the operation?

I do with you a good recovery and am looking forrward to your updates!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 PM

When my NS did followup scans they also scanned my thorasic area and noted severe stenosis and impengement at the T1-t4 level which prompted them to fix it all in one swoop. Had my followup today my motor control in my left had has returned which is a very good sign that they have fibally corrected my issues. He said it can take up to three years for the tingling issues in my hand and numbness in my left foot to go away, if at all.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 AM

Do you mind if I ask, what does it feel like with this fusion, how does it limit your motions?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 PM

Can't tell as of yet. Things are still too stif and sore to try and figure that out.