Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss L5S1 not fully autofused per OSS in the Main forums forums; I went to see Dr.Spencer in LB yesterday. 2 hour wait for 2 min appt tho he ordered an ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM

Default L5S1 not fully autofused per OSS

I went to see Dr.Spencer in LB yesterday. 2 hour wait for 2 min appt tho he ordered an xray since I hadn't had one in 4 years I think he said. Well, it appears that I have not autofused at L5S1 tho looking pretty "crummy" he said and that he thought the facets had autofused back there so that's why that level felt better. He did say that my most recent flare up was most likely L4 which is "shot" in his words tho the other disc spaces look good to him. I thought I might have an L3 prob going on.

I told him I go to the gym several times/week and do a very light work out however on adduction and adbuction I feel the left side is weaker than the right and he said he thought the glute on that side was weakened from nerve involvement on that side. Said to keep doing the exercises tho as long as it's not aggravating my pain.

He said an MRI would probably just show I have a "crappy spine" as he puts it and unless my pain is chronically worse which it's not then not to consider a fusion which I'm not at this point.

We are both getting older I noticed (he has been my primary treating spine doctor since 1998).
Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Hi Maria, it's great that you are good enough for light workouts. I saw him first in the late 90's and he was already grey then... do you know how old he is?

I have mixed feelings about no MRI. While he may be right, there is no radiation and the only downside of an MRI is the cost and effort. When it cost $1500 for one, that was different. Now, insurance companies are paying $250-350 for a standard MRI... WTF??? Depending on how things proceed, even if you do nothing for a few years, it may be useful to document the state of your lumbar.

How's Lola? Margarita time?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM

Default oh yeah?

Mark,
So if I were to pay cash for an MRI with contrast would it still be that price? If so I'd try to get that somewhere. Yes he's very grey now tho looking good. I guess he was grey the first time I saw him too just seems like now he's got more hair and it's grey!! Mine isn't!!!

Sure margarita time is anytime! Well actually hopefully when I move back that way. Am selling my prop here in Laguna Hills and buying over there in Seal Beach Leisure World if all goes as planned my closing date should be the end of this month.

If you feel like hanging out in Laguna in the interim give me a call~ or just call anyway! Lola is 9 now and just more of the same. My 18 y.o. cat's spine might be better than mine
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 PM

Maria and Mark I am so ready for margarita time anywhere . It would be nice to talk to people who really understand what i am going through.

Maria you are moving again? I don't know how you will do it. Mentally is enough to scare me out of it never mind now that i have been here a few months realizing all the things that were left behind when the packing was done by my son basically.

I am glad you are able to work out too. since the Aug and SEpt surgeries i have not been able to do anything. I am planning on trying a little hiking now though. Still wearing a bone stimulator and back brace and supposed to still be in a neck brace!!
so what happened to cause you to move again? I know of a leisure world where i get off the freeway to get to the beach. Is that the one or are there many around the same area?
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 AM

The local hospital where I am at gets away with getting paid $1200 by the insurance company. List price $1800. I know this for a fact. Next town there is an imaging place that charges $550 cash and the insurance gets somewhat more then that. A couple of years a go it was $500. Prices are up, not down.
Prices in Germany also when up.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 AM

I had a lot of MRI's, grrr.