Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Need Help Finding Spine Surgeon in the Main forums forums; Hi Everybody, My husband had back surgery more than 10 years ago. It was an anterior lumbar fusion with BAK ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Default Need Help Finding Spine Surgeon

Hi Everybody,

My husband had back surgery more than 10 years ago. It was an anterior lumbar fusion with BAK cages in L4-S1. He has been in pain ever since. He - and me too - were so traumatized by that surgery that going through another had been unthinkable.

During these years, he has had better and worse periods. Lately - year and a half - it has been worse and not getting better. It has been getting worse.

He is now considering another surgery - if he can find a doctor to revise this fusion.

About a year after the ALIF, a different surgeon offered a revision surgery - a posterior fusion - said that the alif likely didn't fuse and maybe a posterior fusion would force the fusion.

My question is: How do we find a spine surgeon who will evaluate him properly? We live in south Florida - it is so hard for him to travel and it seems like the best surgeons are in other areas of the country. How do we find a surgeon who can do this complex revision now that no one ever uses these cages anymore and just looks at someone who has them as messed up and nothing can be done for them.

He did get relief of his severe back pain for a couple of months after the inital surgery and then it came back. I know he can be helped. He has only one cage in L4-5 and right after the surgery, the surgeons came in and said he would probably need another surgery due to the instability in his back. A recent MRI states partial fusion and it looks like one of the cages in L5-S1 is off to the right too much - maybe impinging on a nerve. He did go to a surgeon here who said everything looks good and that he cannot do anything for back pain. My husband does have pain in his legs too and walks with a shuffling gait and uses a cane outside the house.

Anyways, I seem to be going on and on. Need help in how to find a spine surgeon for lumbar fusion revision.

Sessy
Old 03-16-2013, 03:01 AM

Hi Sessy,

I'm sure there are excellent surgeons in your neck of the woods. I found people who knew other people who had local surgeries. In other words your normal network of co-workers, friends, family and the like. I sought these people out to learn their experience. Hospital nurses can be a good source of info on doctors. I don't really trust the online reviews but they are okay in collaborating recommendations from back patients in your network. I don't really know any other approach.

Jim

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M2 View Post
Hi Sessy,

I'm sure there are excellent surgeons in your neck of the woods. I found people who knew other people who had local surgeries. In other words your normal network of co-workers, friends, family and the like. I sought these people out to learn their experience. Hospital nurses can be a good source of info on doctors. I don't really trust the online reviews but they are okay in collaborating recommendations from back patients in your network. I don't really know any other approach.

Jim
If what you are looking for is a good Fusion Dr I'd look no further than Dr Jonathan Hyde. He works out of Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami. He does not have the greatest bed side manner I must say but he is that good when it comes to fusions. His staff though makes up for his lack of charm as they are very, very helpful. I know at least 4 different persons who had the fusions done by him and have nothing but good things to say. 1 of them is a firefighter who is back to full duty after L5-S1 fusion. If I was to have a fusion he'd be my first choice. I'm going for the ADR so I had to pass on his offer. If you need his info let me know. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:19 AM

Oh, and did I mention that members of this forum are a great source excellent doctors!!!

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy