Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss New member, HELLO to all. in the Main forums forums; Hi all Just joined today If i posted in the wrong area, moderators forgive me and relocate. I had a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 PM

Default New member, HELLO to all.

Hi all
Just joined today
If i posted in the wrong area, moderators forgive me and relocate.

I had a discectomy in september of 09, recently was victim of hit run car accident.

My surgeon has suggested XLIF fusion L3-5.

Im scared, confused, and did i mention scared?

I have been through the risks and details with surgeon.

Would love to hear FIRST HAND from fellow sufferers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:40 PM

Hi ,
I want to welcome you to the forum. I'm sorry you have to be here though. As you can see through my signature i am pretty much fused from C4 straight thru L5. The lower lumbar area may not be fused do to my abnormal bone structure, basically weak bones although not osteoporosis. I have had 9 spine surgeries and survived! it is no fun .
What is your diagnosis with the lumbar area and how much pain and what are you not able to do?
Well i have to run right now, but let us know some more about yourself
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsewell View Post
Hi ,
I want to welcome you to the forum. I'm sorry you have to be here though. As you can see through my signature i am pretty much fused from C4 straight thru L5. The lower lumbar area may not be fused do to my abnormal bone structure, basically weak bones although not osteoporosis. I have had 9 spine surgeries and survived! it is no fun .
What is your diagnosis with the lumbar area and how much pain and what are you not able to do?
Well i have to run right now, but let us know some more about yourself
Judy
Thank you Judy

Right now I'm just angry at the pain.
I saw my surgeon the first week of may, and we agreed to meet again in august, unless my symptoms worsen.

Right now i cant sit, stand or walk for more than ten to fifteen minutes without pain or tingling, pins needles, burning etc etc.

Tuesday I'm going to call a neurosurgeon for a second opinion, its looking like surgery is in my future.
Xlif from L3- L5

Im anxious to say the least.
Im 55.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 AM

I am also 55 and just came back from a trip to South Florida to visit my family, they have all migrated there. Originally from Rhode Island.
Do you have a pain management doctor? If not you need to make an apt with one on Tuesday.
Getting a second opinion is definitely the way to go., Maybe even a third if you are not sure about treatment.
Did the surgeon you met with give you any treatment such as physical therapy?
Are L3 -5 herniated? WHat is wrong with them ? Sorry i am just curious about it all and do want to offer good suggestions. Seems like you are on the right track on your own though.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 05-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Is there a reason that motion preservation technologies are not being discussed? Even if both levels are not a candidate, preserving some of the motion may be preferable to a multi-level fusion.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 PM

Default hi

I lived in Tarpon Springs Fla for a while (near Clearwater which is an hour from Tampa) and unfortunately I could not find an orthopedic or neurosurgeon to see me because I had CA WC insurance. I was thankful to find one PM I had to travel an hour to see and wait in one of two packed waiting rooms for 2 hours to see. It was a nightmare I thought. Thankfully we moved back to CA in 2004 where I didn't have trouble seeing ortho or neuro spine surgeons for consultation.

It sounds like you've been told you need a 3 level fusion? That is what I was told I needed when I first started seeking opinions in 2000 after two failed discectomies at L4 and L5S1.

However between 2003-and 2006 I was offered 2 level ADR or hybrid surgery with ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1. I decided not to do either surgery or any since.

I too recommend getting a 2nd and 3rd surgical consult and also making sure that you call the offices ahead of time and inquire as to whether the surgeon does ADR surgery besides fusion so that even if your insurance won't pay for it at least you might have the advantage of getting the consult to see if you're a candidate for this type of surgery and or perhaps a hybrid surgery if instead of 3 level fusion.

If you're not in an emergent situation regarding surgical necessity I would definately take the time to do the research and homework and get a few more surgical consults. Once you do a surgery of the magnitude you're talking about you have to live with the results and to me it's worth knowing you expended the energy and time to make "your" most informed decision.

Good luck! Maria

Last edited by Maria; 05-28-2013 at 06:41 PM.