Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Introduction in the Main forums forums; Hi everyone, New member here in the community. Hope you all are doing well. Good day!!...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Default Introduction

Hi everyone,

New member here in the community.

Hope you all are doing well.

Good day!!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM

Default re new member

Hi NellySierra,
Welcome to the community! Hope you'll find it helpful to be here and find resources you can utilize in your own spine journey.

If you haven't already done so please tell us a bit more about what's going on w/you/your spine~ take care! Maria
Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Thank you maria for the kind words.

I am having back problem but I really dont know which problem I am having exactly.

My back pain a lot after awaking from the long sleep.

I can't sleep for more than 8-9 hours. When before I was used to sleep for 11-12 hours.

I am here to know more about the back problems and its solutions which can help me in future.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Default more information

It's not that I want to get all up in your business however if you'd like someone to reply to your question it would be helpful to give a bit more information. There are a wide variety of spine problems and spine solutions and surgeries for various presentations/findings.

Just a very basic question is what type of surface are you sleeping on and do you think it might need to be changed? Any possibility you might have some arthritis going on?

Also a few more questions....

Does the pain wake you up? It would help for someone to reply to your questions if you describe the duration of your pain (how long you've had it), location(lumbar, thoracic, cervical) and type of pain (aching, burning, throbbing) does it run down your arm or leg or is it localized etc. Also what brings it on and what helps alleviate it? Do you have pain every day or maybe an hour a day or ? Do you have pain at rest or during activity?
Have you seen doctors and what tests have they done and what are the results?

I'd love to be able to sleep 8 hours... esp. altogether. It's been forever since I slept that long. I'm probably sleep deficient as I average about 5 or 6 hours a night.

Anyway if you can write a bit more I'm sure someone would be happy to reply and try to help you out a bit with whatever information possible or resources.

a good website to check out is: ChiroGeek's Home Page for educational purposes.

Last edited by Maria; 09-26-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Administrator

WOW Nelly! If your problem is that you can't sleep more than 8-9 hours and you wake up stiff and in pain; and if you get better after you get up and around... that is great! Most of the spine patients I know would kill to get 8 hours of sleep.

After you wake up and move around... are you functional?

What does your imaging show?

All the best,

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellysierra12 View Post
Thank you maria for the kind words.

I am having back problem but I really dont know which problem I am having exactly.

My back pain a lot after awaking from the long sleep.

I can't sleep for more than 8-9 hours. When before I was used to sleep for 11-12 hours.

I am here to know more about the back problems and its solutions which can help me in future.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-30-2013, 05:50 AM

Thanks guys for the revert,

I sleep less than 8 hours a day, I never consult a doctor yet. I was treating this pain as normal pain but some of previous days its unbearable for me so I decided to discus with you guys.

I like to sleep more and I dont use bedsheet to sleep I usually sleep on comfortable mat and some 2-3 sheets on it.

this problem happening since last 1 year and raising day by day.

Please help me
Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM

It is difficult to help you without knowing exactly what is wrong with your back. If i could sleep 8 hours without my back waking me up i would be so happy. It is usually around 3-5 hours for me and that is while taking LONG acting pain meds. I have just had surgery and so that is part of it.

If you feel your back is a problem and you cannot cope with the pain some days you need to see a spinal surgeon, neurosurgeon or maybe even start off with your primary care doctor.
When you have a diagnosis , it will be easier for us to try to help you.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM

Default I wonder

I understand not consulting a doctor yet if you're treating it like "normal" pain though if it's disrupting your life with decreased sleep and increased pain I would first try to change your sleeping surface to see how that might affect you.

When you say you're sleeping on mats and some sheets that sounds pretty firm. Maybe you need a latex topper that would be somewhat softer but still firm?

Also I'd consult with a doctor just to get some initial xrays and such. I don't know how old you are though you could have some basic arthritic changes going on if not more stuff which I definitely hope not for your sake.

Also I wonder if you need a good pillow too so that your neck is comfortable as well as your body for sleep purposes? Again wishing you the best and hope maybe changing your sleep surface will help you sufficiently and also consulting with a doctor. take care and keep us posted~ Maria
Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 AM

Thanks maria,

my pain does not make me to awake, pain will remain for 15-20 min or max 1 hour, and the pain is in lumbar, type of pain is aching.

Hope this is not a big problem.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:38 PM

Default re your lumbar pain

Really that doesn't sound too bad. Again maybe just changing your sleeping surface will help you greatly. I can get a lot of pain if what I'm sleeping on isn't supportive enough for my back and also if I don't have the right pillow for my neck but my problems have been around almost half my life now and I've had two surgeries and on and on. Your pain doesn't sound like it's too disruptive in your life at least not yet and again may be due to your sleeping surface and may be due to some arthritic changes and/or other so best to at least talk to your Primary Care doctor or general practitioner about it.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Nelly,

You posted that you have not seen a doctor yet about your back problems. It is very uncommon to see someone researching spine surgeries before they have any idea if they are even a candidate for it. How is it that you find yourself here before your problem is serious enough to see a doctor?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Default re being here

I just wonder if you were googling for spine related topics and found this site perhaps. Most people that are on this site have had significant problems and had a gamut of diagnostic tests and are considering surgery because there is no option left re pain, disruption of lifestyle, etc.

You may just be in the beginning stages of a problem or have something that will progress so I do advise seeing a doctor and at least getting some baseline xrays.

Don't be afraid to post again and let us know how you're doing or what you've found out or what may have made a difference in your pain or problem.

Good luck~ Maria