Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Where do I go next? in the Main forums forums; I am new to this site, and would like to see if I can get some suggestions. I am losing ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 AM

Angry Where do I go next?

I am new to this site, and would like to see if I can get some suggestions. I am losing hope to eliminate the sciatica which I have had since I overexerted my lower back (L4-L5, S-1) on 9/05. I immediately used a chiropracter so I could deal with pain and stand straight. I took an MRI showing an internal rupture of L5. I did PT to minimize the numbness in my left foot. Little improvement (working with peraformis, using traction, exercise, deep masage, etc.) and no permanent relief was found. So I went to a neurologist revealing obvious weakness. Then to a pain center where 4 spinal injections produced no relief. I had an operation to clear the cartilage and remove arthritis. No go. But I had a leakage of spinal fluid, so I took another MRI. This showed that the fluid was putting pressure on the nerve. Now, after my second operation which removed more arthritis and made more room for the nerve, there is still numbness. I am just beginning to stimulate the area through rubbing, ice, heat, and using a TENS machine. I have an appt. for another neurosurgeon. Any suggestions? Did I miss something?

Last edited by Larry Witlen; 01-04-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Better language
Old 01-04-2007, 05:33 PM

Ouch... as I have suggested so many times, please call Mark Mintzer, www.globalpatientnetwork.com. If nothing else, he'll suggest doctors and/or tests, etc. He's a great place to start that may lead to the finish line.

Good luck,
Dale
Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Larry, it is possible that you already have permanent nerve damage that is causing the numbness. Or, there could be additional things that can be done to reduce or remove the nerve irritation that is causing your numbness. Depending on where you are and who you are going to, your doctors may not have access to, or be able to perform some of the new types of surgeries that may be helpful for you. There are many options with spine surgery and they are not all created equal. You need to get an education and gain access to the best doctors so that you'll be able to make an informed decision, armed with accurate and up to date information.

You've already had 2... you don't want to be having too many more spine surgeries. Your chances of success are reduced further and further as you have more procedures, and more invasive procedures performed.

Good luck,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-05-2007, 04:05 AM

Larry, I'm still trying to confirm the cause of my sciatica which was not shown on numerous MRI's I've had over several years. They finally did a myleogram and found a nerve compression, but I still don't know if it is causing the pain. I still could have another pain generator. I suggest you ask the surgeon if the myleogram could be helpful in the diagnosis. Hope this helps. Steve