Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Which Device? in the Main forums forums; First post here. I have done a tremendous amount of reading and there is a lot of info. I have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM

Default Which Device?

First post here. I have done a tremendous amount of reading and there is a lot of info.

I have had pain for about 20 years and I am finally getting the military to do something about it. I have herniations at C5-C6 and C6-C7 and a bulge at C4-C5. I spoke with the surgeon today and he has given me the option of two devices to install for a two level. The Mobi-C or ProDisc-C. I have seen pictures and the models but really don't know which one to choose or what factors to consider to aid in my decision. Can anyone provide some factors to consider in choosing one over the other?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Hi Harsh and Welcome. Are you getting this surgery through the VA? If so, I am really surprised that they are offering you two level ADR. I also have 4 disc herniations with bone spurs and spinal cord compression, C/3 through C/7.

I was offered only one level, C5/6 last year and I had the surgery in Sept. I had the Pro Disc-C and the surgery was quiet painful for me and I was given a 50/50 chance of it even helping. It took away the constant headaches(I mean 24/7) but I now suffer from deep bone pain where the Hardware was put in. Now the Herniated disc at C3/4 is compressing my Spinal cord and I am looking at surgery again in the near future.

So if they are willing to correct more than one level for you(and with saying that I am not a Dr or a nurse), Depending on your pain levels and amount of Nerve damage.....I would still think long and hard about doing it through the VA. Following the surgery I have had nothing but trouble getting continuing care, to the point of having to request Local Civilian Pain Management via Fee Basis(it was approved). They now handle all of my Neck and left shoulder issues. The VA only fills my Rxs from these Drs.
I don't know anything about the Mobi-C, but Mark knows a lot more than I do. So hopefully he can provide more guidance on the best Hardware but he might need more info on your condition. Such as, do you have spinal cord compression? Nerve damage?
Please keep us updated and once again, Welcome!

AJ
???? Total Shoulder replacement
Old 06-05-2014, 01:34 PM

AJ...thanks for the reply. I am not going through the VA as I am still active duty. The surgeon I saw said that he typically does not talk about surgery on a first visit, but since he could track all of the stuff I have done over the years he felt it was warranted. I had been seeing my ortho doc for about 5 years and he finally referred me to a surgeon.

Right now I am not in a tremendous amount of pain. The pain that I have is manageable, but I did recently get a cortisone shot. I can only receive three of those a year. About all they do is is take the edge off so I can be somewhat productive at work. However, they have stopped making the numbness/tingling in my left arm/hand go away. When it wears off I am absolutely miserable for the next couple of months before I can get another shot. It was the pain management doc that suggested that if the numbness and tingling doesn't go away anymore that I should inquire about other options. He stated that if I don't get that corrected it could become permanent.

From what I have read so far I am liking the Mobi-C over the ProDisc-C. I think it is simply due to the fact that the Mobi-C does not require any bone chiseling or screws.

Last edited by Harsh; 06-05-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Administrator

The keel cut is only relevant if causes a problem. It can cause problems but only if the surgeon uses improper technique. If the surgeon uses improper technique... you are with the wrong surgeon no matter which device you are using.

My issue with the Mobi-C is the excessive mobility of the device. With both lumbar and cervical ADR, I have seen many cases in which the highly mobile devices are problematic, ESPECIALLY in multi-level cases.

I am more than 5 years post-op from a 4-level ProDisc-C and still have 100% normal range of motion. (I do have ongoing problems with my t-spine, but these are apparently unrelated to my lumbar (2002) and cervical (2009) surgeries.

Call me if you wish... phone number on the GPN website linked below. 8am-6pm California time only please.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 AM

Ah, I see. With constant numbing, your PM is correct, the longer you let that go the more of a chance there is of it becoming permanent(mine did, the VA waited 2 years). It is good that they will help you while on Active Duty and probably the reason you were given the chance at more than one level, in this case and with the numbness I would go for it becomes too bad or you try to have the VA take care of it and try to connect it after your Discharge (which for me, has been a no joy exercise in futility.)
Please, if you can, Call Mark as he suggested. He has so much experience and can really be helpful. He has helped me many times.
Harsh, What Branch are you? It is good to have a fellow soldier on the board and I sincerely thank you for your service. PM me if you wish and let me know which Hospital is doing this for you also.

AJ
???? Total Shoulder replacement
Old 06-19-2014, 03:21 PM

AJ...I am in the Navy and will be having it done at Portsmouth Naval by Dr. Kent. I am still in a bit of conflict (with myself) over which ADR to go with.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:59 AM

Well I have a surgery date. July 29th.