Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Back after 2-year hiatus in the Main forums forums; Hi all, I haven't been able to participate in the forums because I was in another MVA and my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 AM

Default Back after 2-year hiatus

Hi all,

I haven't been able to participate in the forums because I was in another MVA and my lawyer prohibited me from posting online. But the case is settled (once again, a rip-off) and I am free to join you all again and meet the many new people.

My spine update: I was parked with seatbelt off and bending down to get my sun visor, when a truck backed into me. I was taken on a back board (very, very scary) to the ER where I had a CAT scan. The Prestige ST was intact, but, interestingly I had osteophyte regrowth despite foraminotomies during my surgery which is now 4.5 years ago. I did have some radiculopathy in my left arm for several months after the MVA, but that has luckily calmed down with PT and massage.

Otherwise, in the interim, our daughter got married and our son and daughter-in-law had another baby, this time a boy. I am about to close down my office but may do some work out of the house.

I will be spending some time catching up here.

Barbara
Old 06-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Barbara... welcome back. I'm sorry to hear that your case did't turn out well. Following the MVA that wrecked my spine, I went into binding arbitration with 100k in medical bills and 200k in lost earnings. My award was 25k which magically, almost to the penny, matched my lawyers expenditures for expert witnesses, expenses, etc.... seemingly designed to make him whole while giving me nothing. A crook takes a fake slip and fall, puts on a neck brace and gets a cane can collects big time. My life changed dramatically on the day of my accident. I repeatedly tried to return to my life and not make hay out of the accident... so that is proof that the accident didn't hurt me??? How f'd up this part of our system is. What the insurance company lawyer did was so unethical... but effective.

I'll be interested to see what your osteophytes look like. I'll be surprised if you get any effective imaging around the ADR... are they that visible on xray?

I still see Regan a few times a year... I hope I can tell him that all is well with you. It sounds like things cooled down after the accident.

Zoey is 7! No new grandkids yet, but hopefully within the next year of so??? I'm still suffering with my t-spine problems... just met with my PM this morning. We are trying to schedule a third thoracic ESI as the second one was very successful.

Talk to you soon... call any time.

Love,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-06-2014, 02:09 AM
Administrator

Barbara... I hope you don't mind that I moved your new thread to the main forum... IMHO, this really is spine related.

Talk to you soon,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-06-2014, 02:48 AM

Mark,
I am so sorry you are still struggling. Has Dr. Regan evaluated you?

The osteophytes were visualized on the CT scan as "osteophytic ridging." Now that I've looked at the CT report again to reply to you, I was reminded that what was most concerning was that the disk above the ADR is bulging--whether this is the result of surgery, having the ADR, or the accident--or some combination--is impossible to tell. (strange I would forget that...)

I do have the CT scan on CD--is there a way of posting it?

Zooey is 7!!!!

Love,
Barbara
Old 06-08-2014, 12:07 AM

Default welcome back

So sorry to read that you were in an MVA that sounds like it was pretty intense. I hope that things have settled down now and that you're doing Ok.

Nothing much new with me since last time you were here.. oh wait.. maybe so re my feet. Posterior tibial tendonitis bilaterally had me off my feet mostly for nearly 2 years. It has been a long haul with PT to rehab this tendonitis and it still flares up if I'm not careful. Lately though I'm doing Ok. Have to wear a combo of orthotics with some braces on my lower legs (Richie AFO) and they are rather klutzy and a drag but then again so is pain and not being able to walk so I'm wearing them!

Back is status quo.. my T spine has been bugging me a bit too in the last year. Not terribly but enough to know it seems like the next area of spine "stuff" to hit.

Sigh.. oh well.. keep on keeping on as best able is my motto.

Last I think I recall you had moved your office? Did you have to take a long break from work due to the MVA? I hope if you did things are back to a better place now all the way 'round.

take care and look forward to hearing more from you! Maria
Old 06-13-2014, 01:16 AM

Hi Maria,

So good to hear from you! I apologize for the delay but I have been totally preocuppied with issues at work.

That is awful about your feet. You have really been through the wringer.

As accidents go, this second one was not nearly as bad as the first which made me a spiney. I have found a fantastic massage therapist who specializes in orthopedic problems and feel very fortunate.

I did move my office--to a very luxurious suite, 1000 square feet, all mine, in a very professional and beautiful office complex--we are next to a golf course!!
My patients have been able to do some very difficult work, all the while appreciating the privacy. And the management is great--I had a snake (! non-poisonous but still a snake!) 18 inches away from the patient chair. They sent the maintenance person down immediately and he removed it.
It's a good thing neither my patient nor I noticed it during the session, because there would have been two hysterical females in the room!!!

Okay, this is far from spine issues, so I will stop.

Regards,
Barbara