Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss flat back- harrington rod in the Main forums forums; I need help and advice from anyone who had a fusion with the Harrington rod I had mine in 1979. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 PM

Default flat back- harrington rod

I need help and advice from anyone who had a fusion with the Harrington rod I had mine in 1979. I have been in pain all year and hunched over. Finally last month went to a spine institute in Charleston, SC and was told that I have flat back . With a complicated surgery as the only option. Revision surgery. A pedicle subtraction . Very complicated. Having a hard time finding a doctor for a 2nd opinion who is familiar with this. Doctor said it is due to the rod. I am in pain all the time. I am a very active person who has been reduced to not being able to stand up. I have lost height as well. Hunched over too. I am so upset. I need to find a doctor who knows about this. I have an appt. with the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville, Fl. next month, but even on the phone I was not convinced they knew anything about flat back. They basically just made me a appointment. And it is a long drive for me. I am still trying to find someone in Charleston, SC which is only a 2 hour drive from my home. There is nothing here where I am. Beaufort, SC. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Sheila,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, your case is complex and is much different than what we usually see on the patient forums. I'm a little unclear... the diagnosis and the problem they intend to fix is flat back? I'd be very interested to see your imaging and learn more about your case.

Take care... good luck!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 PM

Default re flatback

Hi Sheila,
I think we have another forum member here, Judy, that was told she had "flatback" and/or losing the natural curve of her spine but I believe due to number of levels fused. I might be wrong about this so I will email her and hopefully she will reply herself. If I'm mixing her up with someone else that has mentioned "flatback" here I apologize in advance to you both!

Ok hope you will be able to find a surgeon that you can trust with your case and that isn't too far away for you.

take care, Maria
Old 08-16-2014, 07:31 AM

Hi Sheila,
I am the Judy Maria referred to. I thought I had flat back syndrome as I have all the symptoms. But it turns out my lumbar spine is in a kyphotic state, I think. I have had 11 spine surgeries and am totally fused. At this point there are problems in my lumbar spine as my surgeon has tried to fuse from the front and the back and do to ostroporosis the screws do not stay in. I have had some horrendous surgery's and now am all hunched over when I walk. I have a curve in my neck as I broke it once and it was all they could do to fix it. Then my back appears to be very straight.
I have had the same surgeon for most of the procedures. I went last year for a second opinion and was told to give me some alignment I would need a huge 10 hour surgery. I believe it was to be a long fusion from about T 10 (maybe up higher) to somewhere in the sacral area. It would be difficult for sure. is that what you are talking about? or is yours up higher do to scoliosis. I did have that surgery but it was in the last 5 years .

I was also very active and my life now in just a few years has gone from an obsessive long distance trail runner, to a hiker to shot hikes, to walks to nothing. I also developed foot drop from some very inflamed and damaged nerves in my lumbar area. After 10 months in a foot brace I had surgery for it in June. I have been in a cast and now a walking boot. I am using crutches which helps me walk a bit straighter. But I am really hunched over and look 90, and do not like it at all.

I am not sure if I can do anything but share stories with you and commiserate.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot