Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss cycling & back pain in the Main forums forums; I find it very interesting that so many people not necessarily in this forum, but in general start a intense ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Default cycling & back pain

I find it very interesting that so many people not necessarily in this forum, but in general start a intense cycling regimen AFTER having ADR surgery. It seems to me that cycling itself can be the cause of the original back pain. I don't know to what degree, whether is can lead to DDD or not, but I know for myself I would not be tempted in the least to start biking unless it was very casual post-ADR. Before I had my 1st laminectomy in 2001, I was one in a fairly intense cycling routine, I would go up an down a steep 1/4 mile hill up to 10 times for a workout. I had a bad fall on the ice that seems to have triggered my downward spiral, but for all I know the cycling certainly could have contributed to it. Anyone who has thoughts about the ramifications of cycling pre and post serious low back pain, please comment.

I have a couple of friends who are doing this after ADR surgery and it makes me cringe.
Coccyx dislocated / same fall (Cannot sit)
Aug 2011 pull-start generator - unrelenting low back pain - can only stand for 30 min
Nov 2011 -rhizotomy - makes things worse
22 hours/day in bed
June 2012 - present receiving facet injections every 4 months, only last one helped somewhat
L3-L5 ActivL Surgery w/Dr Zeegers April 16th
Doing great!!!!!