Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Help, I Need To Find a Doctor For a Second Opinion in the Main forums forums; Hello everyone Today is my first day here as a member on the forum. If I am not posting this ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 07:17 PM

Default Help, I Need To Find a Doctor For a Second Opinion

Hello everyone
Today is my first day here as a member on the forum. If I am not posting this correctly or it is not in the correct location please let me know. I have had two prior surgeries, the most notable is my Prodisc-C at C5/C6. It was not a success. After a revisit four years later, It was recommended that the device be removed and a four level fusion performed. That would be a major change and I need a second opinion on that because of all the failed fusions that I read about. I have all of the images from before, after, and recent although the post op MRI's have the distortion near the ADR of course. My age is 48 and I am located in Illinois, though I am willing to travel for the right doctor.

I would like to get back to being a productive person again. As I am right now it's very hard for me to do anything because of the discomfort.

Any help, suggestions, or doctor recommendation would be very much appreciated. If you have a personal success or failure that would be comparable that would also be helpful. You may either post, PM, or email me.

Thank you very much
Old 07-08-2015, 04:05 AM

Default help re finding doctor for second opinion

Hi and Welcome!
Sorry to read that your cervical pro disc hasn't been successful and a 4 level fusion is being recommended.. getting a second surgical opinion and perhaps 3rd sounds like a great plan.

I think you should contact Mark (mmglobal) at the contact information here (contact us) up in line that says Discussion Forums, Lending Library, Article Library, About iSpine, and Contact Us. ASAP. He could be most helpful to you.

Looking forward to reading more should you decide to post more and wishing you the best!

Maria
Old 07-08-2015, 05:07 PM

Welcome!

I agree that Mark would be the best resource.

I am sorry that your surgery was not successful and that you are facing a more radical surgery. I would be interested in knowing what happened with the Pro-Disc that you are now facing a 4-level fusion.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 PM

I would welcome any recommendations on doctors that have worked out well for anyone either with an ADR or a Fusion. If anyone has any other recommendations other than to call the number on this forum that would be great.

The problem is that I want a second, or third opinion from other doctors with ADR experience whether that may be revisions or just a lot of implants. Fusion at four levels is very extreme so if there is a better option then I want to at least talk to a doctor with experience. Also, if it does have to come out then I would be much more comfortable with a doctor who has actually taken one out before. Mine hasn't.

I don't think much of the Prodisc C for obvious reasons, as it is in very poor position in my neck. I'm wondering if the new Mobi C is better or if maybe there is a new one on the horizon. Either way I need a good doctor to consult. If it has to be fusion then that's what it will be, but I want to at least be able to make an informed decision.

You asked why the Prodisc has to come out. As I look at the X Rays it looks to me like it's too far back which is causing the spine to bend the opposite direction, thus putting pressure on the adjacent vertebrae. I could be wrong about that but it sure looks out of position to me. I need to consult with someone else about it so that I can be sure. I'm not looking to assign blame with any of this. Maybe it shifted after surgery. I just want to do what's best for the future.

Last edited by KevinFish; 07-08-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:03 AM

Default recommendations

Again Mark (mmglobal) is the best person to help you out here. He has not only had a lumbar and cervical ADRs; he has worked as an Advocate for persons having spine surgery and worked with some of the most reputable surgeons performing ADR surgery in the USA and abroad. He definitely can help you out more than anyone else can most likely.

The other thing you can do is peruse the surgery part of this forum and see what people have written about their surgical experiences with various surgeons they've utilized.

I have not had ADR surgery. I have had about 5 consultations regarding ADR but in the end chose not to have more surgery and now I'm no longer a candidate for ADR (lumbar).

I believe Mark had at least a 3 or 4 level cervical ADR. He had a 2 level lumbar ADR. There are other people on this forum that have had cervical ADR though as I recall the majority that have posted here have had lumbar ADR.

There are so many doctors doing it now and the ones I considered in the past were: Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany, Dr. Zeegers, in Germany, Dr. DelaMarter in the LA area, just to mention a few though there are so many more that Mark can talk to you about and in different countries as well.

Please do yourself a favor and call Mark. He's helped so many of us out and don't think we are recommending you to call because we are trying to sell you on him making any $ off it .. he's just the best person hands down to talk to about this as he's helped so many people find the right surgeon to help them out.

Good luck. Hope others will respond as well. Maria
Old 07-09-2015, 02:02 AM

I hope that you are able to consult with Mark and fear that you may have some trouble getting another surgeon to repair another surgeon's work.

That said, it would be helpful for you to review the forum on surgeries to get some names. Many surgeons are willing to review your films long distance for a consultation fee.

The surgeon who implanted a Prestige-ST at C5/6 for me was John Regan in Los Angeles. He also successfully did multiple-level cervical ADR's for a friend.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 PM

Default go to search

and under keywords type in Surgical Outcomes and Blogs and enter

It may say there is no surgical outcomes and blogs section or that it has been moved (On the left hand side) however on the right side of the open window I clicked on Surgical Outcomes and Blogs and it brought me to that page.

I'm not really good at computer stuff so if this sounds jumbled I hope someone will step in and give better directions though that's how I just found it and wanted to try and direct you to it.

Good luck!