Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss ISpine Newby in the Main forums forums; I am an active 67 male living in Whistler BC, with a degenerative spine particularly affecting the lumbar sections. Latest ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to frfletch
Default ISpine Newby

I am an active 67 male living in Whistler BC, with a degenerative spine particularly affecting the lumbar sections. Latest MRI 2014 reveals L1/2 severe los of disc height making contact with L2 nerve root, L2/3 same with thecal sac compressed to 8.5mm and compression of L3 nerve roots, L3/4 moderate loss of disc height with marked right and left facet arthropathy, and stenosis in canal down to 8mm with compression of L4 nerve roots, L4/5 minimal loss of disc height with severe right facet arthropathy and moderate left facet arthropathy, L5/S1 moderte loss of disc height with large diffuse of disc bulge, etc, etc. I was fused from C-3 to C-5 in 2010, so far with decent success in that area.

The lumbar area is causing numbness and tingling in all parts below the waste and my mobility is threatened. Each day my legs become weaker, and frequently I trip or fall owing to one leg or the other just temporarily quitting. Sexual function is compromised.

My local medical system's surgeons don't want to touch the situation for all the usual reasons having to do with the domino effect regarding fusions, and they are loath to recommend ADR. My information has been sent to Bogen from where I have a proposal for multiple ADR from L3 to S1 with an inter operational decision to be made as to whether to use ADR or fusion between L5 and S1.

Like everyone else, I'm at the cross road of decision making. I am very fit and lead a very physically active life. Neurologists suggest I do nothing owing to their observation that my general fitness is so high for my age, however only I can know the accelerated rate of my deterioration and it is the main issue together with the increasing pain.

It seems i have only two options: 1. Allow the general deterioration to continue and perish, or 2. Move toward private surgery. Questions are: What to do and who is the best?