Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Exercise regimen post 2nd lumbar disk surgery in the Main forums forums; Just had my 2nd L4/L5 hemilamectomy and partial disk removal -just 9 months apart. I don't want to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Exercise regimen post 2nd lumbar disk surgery

Just had my 2nd L4/L5 hemilamectomy and partial disk removal -just 9 months apart. I don't want to re-herniate again or the doc says probable fusion. I have been an avid cycler and worked out lifting weights with a trainer. I went back to cycling slowly and some weight training as well after 1st surgery but I re-herniated the disk. Thinking about replacing weight training with pilates or gyrotonic- I hope to at least be able to do spinning (staitionary cycle training to music) but not sure . I didn't get a tremendous amount of direction from the doc last time except to do physical therapy for a couple months. Any experiences? ideas? James
Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 PM

James,

The statistics on discectomies (as I've been told) are 85% for first surgeries, 50% for the second and down to 5% after that. Removing disc materiel weakens the disc putting stress on adjacent discs... causing their degereration and so on and so on and so on.

My personal experience is that my neuro was more interested in me as a surgical patient and no so much on rehabilitation. He was more than happy to do my second surgery too!

Pilates may be your best bet but I'm not sure any amount of strengthening can insure that you won't reherniate again... and again. A sneeze can even do it.

I refused my 3rd surgery after a friend, who had 9 surgeries and hardware from here to there, told me about the above mentioned statistics. When I discovered ADRs, my surgeon never told me, I knew this was the answer for me.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for and wish you a pain free future. Deciding on your individual best solution can be a grueling process but knowledge is power. Learn all you can and from other's experiences, which is what this forum is all about. You'll also find sympathy, empathy and kinship. We may in different boats but we're all sailing the same sea.

Good luck, Dale
Old 03-26-2007, 07:37 PM

Dear creekman,

Welcome to the forum. I just wanted to share my experience here. After my first micro-discectomy at L5-S1, my neurosurgeon told me that I should be okay and that I would not need physical therapy. He told me that the best therapy was to walk then he just basically said no lifting heavy... However, he followed that by saying that I would be okay performing nursing duties in an ER. Well, he was absolutely wrong!!!

I strongly feel that I should have had physical therapy and shown exercises for strengthening. Also, prevention measures regarding possible herniation.

Nonetheless, I believed him and was back at work within 6 weeks post-op. Then 18 months later, I had another herniation at the level above at L4-5.

Trying to recover from the second injury was h#ll and I was in chronic pain for 3 years before having a 2 level ADR.

If there is anyway possible, I would highly recommend discussing physical therapy with your docs and see what the response is......
Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM

Default What is ADR?

I guess this really shows my ignorance but what is ADR? James
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 AM

An ADR is artificial disc replacement. Your own disc is literally removed surgically and a metal one is put in it's place. Though there are now several choices in design, keel and core, this decision will permantly alter your spine for the rest of your life, but then again, so do discectomies.

This is an education and perhaps something you might want to explore should your second surgery fail, but don't cross that bridge until you have too.

Please make sure that whatever exercise regimen you choose, the instructor is well informed about back injuries/surgeries.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision. I wish now that I never had my first two surgeries but can't tell you if I would or wouldn't have made the same decision. Deciding on adr surgery is not something you enter into lightly.

Best of luck to you, Dale
Old 03-27-2007, 04:24 AM

Oh dear, I'm sorry for abbreviating....I will try to do better next time.

Dale couldn't have explained it better.

At the top of this webpage site, Mark has provided some pics of artificial discs.

Hopefully, you will not need more surgery. However, artificial disc replacement may be a viable option if you need it down the road. Then again, who knows - they may be regrowing this in tissue cultures on a regular basis replacing the need for disc replacement or fusion. One can only hope.

Take care and I hope you are able to obtain some insights from your healthcare providers soon in regards to therapy.

TTYL,
Poncho
Old 03-27-2007, 03:00 PM

Default good luck

Sounds like you are in good shape in terms of fitness/exercise.
I have had two discectomies, L5S1 first which was successful but did rebulge, and L4 which was a failed surgery and rebulged as well. Small bulges but apparently painful as per discogram concordancy for pain.

If it were me in your shoes I'd probably be somewhat careful in building back up to a certain level of activity, however, unless otherwise restricted by pain, recover as much ground as you are able in time, and be careful not to really do stupid things that put an overload on the surgerized discs...

That may be impossible. I know I continue to do things that would be considered *stupid* based on my spinal history tho it just seems "natural" and I do it and then pay~ ouchh... probably why my back is such mess and I'm slated for further surgery!

take care, good luck~