Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Newbie: Impact activities after ADR/Lami? in the Main forums forums; Hello! I just found this forum yesterday, and was thrilled! I had posted on other similar sites back when I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Newbie: Impact activities after ADR/Lami?

Hello!

I just found this forum yesterday, and was thrilled! I had posted on other similar sites back when I was pre-op and early post-op from my 15-S1 Prodisc. So "hello" to all you spineys here. Glad I found you and here's a litte bit about me:

I am 4 years out from my l5-S1 Prodisc as part of the clincal trials. I had a previous laminectomy at the same level, that reduced my leg pain, but the disc just couldn't hold up to daily living, so I had the ADR. My recovery was long, but successful. I have been satisfied with my outcome, but have been very careful with my activiity level and have never pushed the envelope to see how much I could do. I was happy enough being relatively painfree, able to function daily with out thinking about my back, I could do pretty much anything I wanted. I take long walks and hikes, go on SOME of the rides at Disneyland, get on the floor and play with kids and dogs, . . . you get the idea.

So about 2 months ago I am on a winter vacation. I had the chance to go on a dogsled ride through the snow in the national forest. Being a big dog lover, it sound like a really fun adventure. Well, I had no idea how much pounding and jarring there would be. It was pretty high impact. I would say like a speed boat racing accross a choppy lake. The dogs sled ride was an hour and a half. Didn't hurt at the time, but the pain came on a day later and I havent been the same since. Bi-level sciatica in the legs and burning the the heels and soles of my feet. It has been nearly 2 months now. It has improved somewhat, but it is still a big daily problem.

I figured I messed up the Prodisc or tore another disc. Got X-Rays and a MRI. Prodisc fine, all other discs, fine. What my doc is saying is that the l5-S1 nerves, exiting from the Prodisc level got irritated and inflamed. Maybe from the scar tissue at that level from the prior laminectomy. The put me on Lyrica last week and scheduled an epidural for next week.

I guess the question that I am asking the group is: Does this sound normal?????? Has anyone else found that they absolutely cant do anything that has impact? And if they did somehting high impact, did the flare go on for over 2 months and require getting back on meds and having epidurals? You can imagine how frustrating and emotionally draining this is afer feeling so good FINALLY.

If anyone has had a similar experience with flare ups long after recovery, or pushing the envelope and finding where their limits are, I would appreicate the feedback. I guess it is a little disapointing to find out that anything with impact should be off limits for me.

I read of ADR patients that are able to get back to all kinds of activities, impact activiites too. Does the prior posterior sugery and the scar tissue it creates around the nerves make my situation different?

Any ADR patients out there who had a prior posterior surgery and found their limitation are different that other ADR patients?

I live in the SF Bay area and am considering flying down to LA and going to Delmarter and/or Regan for a 2nd opinion on my situation. I also thought of checking out Dr. Filler and possibly getting an MRN. Could be piriformis syndrome. Not sure if all that is really necessary . . . It will require a week off work and $$$

Any and all feeback is would be appreicated!

Thanks
Laurel
Old 04-23-2007, 10:58 PM

Smile

Laurel,

I'm still having my own issues with a 3 level 18 months ago and can't comment on your current symptoms, just wanted to wish you welcome. We're a bunch of caring, sympathetic and often fun loving people. I also don't think you'll find anyone, other than doctors, who know than Mark about the ADR world... so welcome.

Dale
Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Laurel,

Welcome to the iSpine community! I'm sorry that you were looking for answers based on the recurrence of symptoms.

I know many patients who've returned to high impact activities, but I don't think that's for everyone. For many of us, I believe that if you completely eliminated all problems at the operated level and protected that level against injury, we still would not be able to sustain a lot of high impact activities. It has nothing to do with the artificial disc... it has to do with our general condition, and the condition of the rest of our spine. Whatever the condition are that set up some levels for DDD... they typically effect more of our spine than just the problem levels... Our genetics, prior injuries, prior activities (cliff diving, motorcycle racing), etc.... all happened to us... not just L5-S1. So yes... recoveries, abilities, limitations, etc... are all over the place... many are still severely limited, yet consider their surgeries successes because they are still so much better than they ever expected to be. Others have very low ongoing problems and limitations, yet consider their surgeries failures because they expected to be 100%.

I know others like me... during my disability, age crept up on me. (I'm 4.5 years post-op from L4-S1 2-level Charite') Even though my lumbar spine offers very little in the way pain and limitations... being 50 does.

We'll all rise to an activity level that will be dictated by our core fitness, quality of recovery, dedication, discipline, motivation, risk tolerance, etc... Even without spine problems, we accept risks associated with high impact or high potential impact activities. With our past surgeries and histories, I believe that for most of us, the risk is slightly more, but still manageable. I live a pretty full and normal life that includes skiing. See the video I just posted in the Ski Trip thread of the community support forum. (Although, I don't consider the way I ski to be 'high impact', but I like to go fast and when I take a bad fall, it will be... so I'm accepting a fairly high amount of risk.... just as I did before my spine problems.)

Regarding your case, I know many people with the onset of radicular pain after ADR surgery. For some, it's new injuries at other levels. Some have 'not spine' reasons for radicular symptoms. Some have unexplained radicular symptoms that is probably associated with issues at their operated levels. My advice to you is... don't panic... It sounds like your doc is taking a measured approach.

I have several clients who've done MRN and have run the entire gambit of identifying leg pain after surgery.... some successful... some not. Call me if you want to chat for a while... I'll share what I know. (Number on GPN website)

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-24-2007, 02:35 AM

Dale, thank you for your welcome . . Sorry to hear you are not fully recovered yet, but it took me 2 years to get the full results of my sugery and i was only a one level. Hang in there

Mark, thank you so much for your reponse! I was hoping you would reply to my post. Thanks also for your offer to chat , I will take you up on that. Got the number from the website as you suggested.

Thanks,

Laurel