Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Grima6 Maverick Explantation - revision to fusion. in the Main forums forums; During the lunch break today at SAS ( see the blog ), I ran to the hotel and called Lorna. (She asked ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Default Grima6 Maverick Explantation - revision to fusion.

During the lunch break today at SAS (see the blog), I ran to the hotel and called Lorna. (She asked me to tell her story.) She is the woman who has unrelenting leg pain for 3 years since L5-S1 Maverick.

On Friday 20-April, Dr. Zeegers removed the Maverick and replaced it with a STALIF cage.. She tolerated the surgery well and seemed to have some improvement. However, at her 6 day visit, it was clear that there was more work that needed to be done. They knew this was a possibility and it seemed clear that a more thorough posterior decompression was needed and was performed on April 27th. Doctors Zeegers, Hoogland, and Baumbach weren't sure how much decompression would be needed, but interoperatively, it turned out to be a lot. While it was difficult to know exactly what was happening from the imaging, diagnosing the problem was straightforward for Dr. Baumbach, because the symptoms were so profound. Even so, they were surprised to discover how bad the stenosis really was. With the anterior only fusion and the amount of of posterior decompression needed, they decided to reinforce the anterior fusion with a coflex interspineous spacer. This will lend the extra stability, but is much less invasive than a posterior fusion.

After the second surgery she knew immediately that much of the neuro deficit in her legs is gone. Her old leg pain is gone too. I was great to talk to her today because there was so much joy and hope in her voice. It's still early after 2 surgeries.. but things look good now. Hopefully, she'll be along later to update us.

All the best,

Mark

PS. Before her first surgery, she ran into Sam at the AlphaKlink.... his story is updated on his GPN patient story page.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 05-02-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Default revision

Mark,
If Lorna had been in the US, what would her options have been? It's wonderful to hear that she had the type of attention and care that afford her the best possible option to avoid a more invasive surgery.
Best wishes to her with her continued progressive recovery and look forward to updates if and whenever possible!

Re the SAS blog~ looking forward to more when you've time.. was reading in the Sun.LA Times about property prices in Berlin and how it's the in place to be/live now (and hopefully a job market will be happening one day).

Last edited by Maria; 05-02-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

hi everyone, yes, i am still here!!!! I have been in Munich for 7 weeks now and (even though it.....

The 1/2 sentence above was written by Lorna. Then, I got called away and had to take my computer. I was hoping we'd connect again so she could finish, but she's back to her hotel already.

Lorna will come and post again soon to give whatever level of detail she wishes. The short version is that she is much better than when she arrived. She's had some challenges that have been unpleasant, but as you can see below... she's still a happy camper. She'll still be here for a while as this incredible team helps her get her life back. All-in-all, the explantation of the Maverick was difficult but successful.

more later,

Mark

Old 05-31-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Good news

That is great news. I hope Lorna's recovery continues apace. That smile says a lot about how she is doing.

I am wondering what was wrong with the MAverick disc. Was it improperly implanted? Or just bad luck that it touched a nerve???
Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 PM

That smile says a lot. I so wish her well and hope her pain issues have finally been resolved. As for the others, well, let's hope they're transient and will disappear without much fanfare.

Dale
Old 06-01-2007, 02:00 AM

Default mid sentence

Lorna,
I'm wondering what you were going to say? You do look happy in the photo w/Mark. In fact you look so happy you look like any other happy non spiney person roaming the streets~
Take care and looking forward to reading more about your 7 plus weeks in Germany! Hope the recovery is going smoothly now~ Maria