Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Advice/this is sorta a Dad (Mark) question in the Main forums forums; I shall consult the Man soon. Meanwhile, any advice is appreciated. Fusion at L5-S1 and a ProDisc at L4-...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Default ADR L4-L5, fusion L5-S1 vs. fusion two levels

I shall consult the Man soon. Meanwhile, any advice is appreciated.

Fusion at L5-S1 and a ProDisc at L4-5 were recommended by Laureyssen and Regan.

I'm losing my mind b/c I cannot get aerobic relief, it seems, by anything - the latest trying to swim in place in the deep end. I am waiving b/w the physiological dangers of not working out (and my anxiety that has no proper outlet which eats my guts) vs. leaping.

Not sure what to do. In light of Justin's post that both Charite and ProDisc do cause adjacent segment damage (I have lotsa DDD), is fusion such a bad option? Also, my facets on MRIs show "moderate degeneration" but two excellent docs say that they are fine but get more facet injections (previously didn't help = great!); what concerns me are the cases of post-ADR delayed facet damage that has been reported.

My sense is that ADR would emulate natural movement but for these two levels, would fusion create huge unnatural stress on a higher and lower (S-1) levels?

Also, I have osteoporosis in my left hip yet my back scores approach osteopenia a bit. I heard from a smart person that hip scores are used as a proxy for spine osteo-health. Is one screwed bigtime (literally by the screws if one has fusion w/osteopenia?).

So, why does fusion suck much more than ADR?

Thanks - Allan

Last edited by ans; 05-06-2007 at 08:13 AM.