Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Extrusion from one level to another! in the Main forums forums; Shit My wife Diane has had some minor back pain for a few months. During the last month, it became ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Default Extrusion from one level to another!

Shit

My wife Diane has had some minor back pain for a few months. During the last month, it became bad enough to take days off of work. (She's and RN... big suprise that RN's have back problems.) While I was on my last trip, she told me that she had numbness around outside L calf and across the top of L foot. "Sounds just like my L4-5" I said.

Treatment by her local GP and his messed up office is like a primer on how to get screwed up by the 'standard protocol'. GP refused to do MRI... insisted on PT.... wrote note for 2 days off work. (Great for someone in a high-risk job.) PT made things much worse... actually provoked the numbness. Return to work was impossible... she tried, but had to leave work.

We insisted on an MRI which was done on Wednesday. We still have not heard from doctors office even though we have been calling and we know that the report was there Wednesday afternoon. (Sunday now.) If we followed the protocol, she would be trying to work now and do more PT. Good thing we know better.

MRI showed GIANT protrusion at L5-S1. We picked the films up on and by Thursday morning, Regan and Bertagnoli had already reviewed them and checked in. By Saturday, Zeegers and Yeung and reviewed them and checked in. (Nice to have connections.)

Protrusion is so large that extruded nucleus from L5-S1 has traveled up the canal area and is causing compression of the exiting nerve root at L4-5. Bulge, protrusion shows on every saggital slice across the back of the disc... I worry about how severely compromised the disc is. If surgery is necessary (it's hard to imagine that we won't get there), will a discectomy be successful?

The good news is that her symptoms are not that bad considering how bad the films look. Some of the docs have expressed concern about cauda equina syndrome being a possibility based on how substantial the cord compression is. We are well tuned into those symptoms and will consider her case emergent if those symptoms. I have seen too many cases of permanent CES that could have been avoided if treated on a timely manner. It's a shame to watch the recipe for such a disaster occurring in the treatment she's receiving. Again... her symptoms do not rise to that level of concern, but based on her films we should be hearing concern from the docs involved in the normal channels.

We'll know more on Tuesday when we see the local ortho surgeon that we went directly to based on recomendations from other RN's. His office is very nice and he'd reviewed her online profile / films and called us within a day of my presentation.

I don't know what the future brings for Diane... hopefully she'll get some epidirals, the protrusion will resorb and this will be a minor blip in our lives... we'll see in the next few weeks.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 PM

Hi Mark,

so sorry to hear how bad the problem is turning out to be for your wife's spine. And particularly that she is having such unhelpful and damaging treatment recommended by her GP - the trouble with the protocols that are so relied upon these days is that they are based on "in generals" and patients are individuals who don't all fit into categories neatly.

I just hope that the epidurals will prove helpful and that neither of you need to make much further use of your experience and contacts. I have my fingers crossed for her that her pain and symptoms do not increase further.

All good wishes to the both of you.

rosedee
‘87 Sclerosant injections
2000 Spinal fusion L4/5 L5/S1 – left with internal nerve damage: permanent leg Pain & impaired mobility.
2/04 Acute episode became new baseline - Housebound & severe pain
6/06 Discogram +ve L3/4,L1/2. + SI joint problem.
10/07 ADR L3/4 (Active L) Dr Zeegers - no impact at all
Old 06-11-2007, 12:05 AM

Mark,

I'm sorry that this has happened and wish for the very best. Almost hard to imagine PT before a scan.

Given this, you gave me your time yesterday, regardless.

Best, Allan

Last edited by ans; 06-11-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:21 AM

Mark,

It's said that if you're married long enough, you begin to look like each other. I wasn't aware it pertained to your insides too! I'm so sorry that Diane is in pain and hope that with your combined knowledges and some rest, all will be well. My thoughts are with her and we are all hoping for the best.

Diane, please take care and do what Dr. Mark tells you. Let him take care of you for a few days. From what I've heard, you deserve to be pampered.

Dale
Old 06-11-2007, 01:08 AM

Mark,
Oh no, I hate to hear this. It sounds very extreme, I can't imagine the pain. When I read the thread title I thought, it couldn't mean what it says, ... but it certainly did! Here's hoping the 'minor blip' scenario plays out. Let Diane know we're very concerned and thinking about her.

Jim
Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 AM

Mark:
So sorry this has happened to Diane. I too am hoping that this is just a blip. I know you will take the best of care of her.
Barbara
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Dear Mark,

I am so sorry to read this! Keep us informed.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:43 AM

Please tell your wife from one RN to another...So sorry about her back! It sounds much the same as how my problems started 9 years ago. I hope she has a speedy recovery without surgery. I will say my disectomy helped tremendously in the beginning. I had no pain after until I must have lifted something the wrong way and I was herniated again. Now thats a surprise isn't it! A nurse that goes back to work and reherniates!
My thoughts are with you both! You are so lucky to have connections and not have to put up with years of the run around and BS!

Last edited by fireyangel76; 06-13-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:59 PM

Mark,

You didn't mention what all your consultations revealed. What do your conglomerate of doctors suggest?

You know I personally feel that a discectomy is the beginning of a downward spiral but then again, those who have achieved long term success have no need to post of these forums so they may out there, going about their business without a back care in the world.

Anyway, how is Diane doing? I do hope a few days rest have lessoned at least some of her pain. I'm finding a couple of hours in my zero gravity chair can undo a difficult day. I hope she's using yours.

My best to both of you, Dale
Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Default re Diane's findings

Mark,
Hope Diane is doing better and/or has gotten authorization for ESIs and either has had or will have relief with these. I too hope this will be just a blip in the life of Diane's spine~

I don't want to jinx anything so won't say more as my spiney life story isn't so hot~ as you know!!

Give Diane my best and I do hope she's feeling better and will get the care she deserves within the network of doctors designated but thankfully, "you da man" when it comes to spine connections!!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:05 AM

Mark,

I am soooo sorry that your wife is going through this. Unfortunately, for us nurses this is the "cost of caring". And they wonder why there is a nursing shortage?

I know that you will take good care of her - the hard part is getting the nurse to accept help and take it easy...

Take care Diane!!!

We are thinking of you!!!

Sue
Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Just after midnight Friday in Munich. Day 3 today. All is well. Leg symptoms still at bay, although Diane had some minor twinges this morning that went away as soon as we went for a walk. No reason to worry.... we expect some of this and hopefully, all this will just fade away and become fond memories.

It seems that Diane only has surgery pain now. She still moves slowly and when she forgets and takes a long step or moves too quickly, she gets a jab. It's getting better by the hour. She was only taking very low levels of meds. Now, she's on a few codeine/tyelenol a day and has been stretching them out to 8 or more hours.

Munich is wonderful. We have been taking several outings/day into the local area... meals out... fairly long walks.... outings that last an hour (or 2 if there is a meal involved.) Today we took a cab into Munich looking for her favorite beer garden and sausage stand. We didn't find it... we'll have to keep looking. We still had a blast... met some very interesting folks during lunch. The husband works for a company that makes lasers used in cutting metals... including spine implants. His family also owns a winery in Northern Germany (www.drloosen.com - wines available in the US). After lunch we spent some time in Hugendubel bookstore (www.hugendubel.de). It's 6 floors that all overlook Marienplatz and the Glockenspeil.... very cool view... coffee and cake on the top floor. It also has a fairly large English book section. We can't wait to read Zoey the German baby books that we bought.

I got to spend some time with Sam Perroni. It's great to see him again and he's looking better and better each day... now a week post-op. I hope to update his patient story soon.

Last night I had dinner with Zeegers at an outdoor cafe'. He waived a couple that I'd seen at the clinic and walking around the square many times. Talking to them at less than a week post-op from her 2-level active-L was very uplifting. It must be incredible for Zeegers to watch this happen over an over. We come to the AlphaKlinik afraid and desperate. He gets to see most of them leave in much better shape, and knowing that their lives will be much better. For many of us, it's not just better... it's returning from the living dead, back to life. It must be tough for him to watch the few failures, but the large numbers of successes must make it so incredibly rewarding for him.

Here are a few pics... more later...

Day 3... 3 hour outing to Munich

Day 2... farmer's market in Araballa Square

Day 2...
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 08-03-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:57 PM

How great to see Diane up and around with little pain. I so hope she continues on this recovery road. My best to the both of you,

Dale
Old 08-04-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Our Best to Diane

Mark & Diane,
You are both in our thoughts and prayers as you move forward in these crucial post-op days.
Diane, may you be blessed with less pain each day. Munich is such a wonderful place to enjoy while you are healing and recovering. We truly hope that things go smoothly for you.

God Bless,
Jeff & Pauline
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) 2/2/07 with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) 11/04/10 with Prof. Dr. Reul / Beta Klinik (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 08-04-2007, 05:52 AM

Well done Diane, wishing you an excellent recovery.
Glad you're enjoying Munich, was there a couple of years ago, the beer gardens are great aren't they?
Lynette
Old 08-05-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Diane's recovery

That smile on Diane's face is worth a million words! Great photos and glad to read that Diane's recovery is going so well, best wishes, thoughts and prayers that all continues on an upward spiral re recovery!

take good care you two, keep having a blast and thanks for the update! Maria