Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Sorry to report in the Main forums forums; I am now 20 months post-op after a 3 level ProDisc S1/L3. Though L2/3 was herniated at ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Unhappy Sorry to report

I am now 20 months post-op after a 3 level ProDisc S1/L3. Though L2/3 was herniated at the time of surgery it was not considered a pain generator and therefore left alone.

A couple of months ago I began to notice an all too familiar back pain. Hoping for just a blip, I tried to take care but the intermittent pain worsened, though tolerable by comparison, and became almost constant except when sitting in my zero gravity recliner. On Monday I had x-rays taken and the following is an excerpt from the radiology report;

“Soft tissue calcification is seen in the posterior L2-L3 annulus of the L2-L3 disc.

Minimal spondyloarthritic changes are present at the L1-L2 interspace with circumferential 1 to 3 mm vetabral body endplate osteophytes.”

He also noted lumbar muscular spasm despite the muscle relaxers I’ve been taking since my surgery.

Needless to say I am pretty upset. I haven’t informed either Dr. L or Dr. B and will do so as soon as I can send these to Mark but I want to know, just how serious are these findings? With rest I do better but I put too much into my back to rest. I’ve had my fill of resting… 3+ years to be exact. I also expect my life to be hectic for the next few weeks with my husband's upcoming knee surgery next week. This of course is on top of my own knee problems for which my MRI is tomorrow. Maybe more on that later.

I cringe at the thought of any further surgeries because of the severe nerve damage I was left with from my ADRs as well as the recovery and so wish that Dr. B had done the full 4 level when I was there.

Just to mention, since my nerve damage recovery seems to have stagnated, my pm suggested acupuncture. Anybody have any success in that area?

Dale
Old 06-14-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Might help

Just a shot in the dark, but what about cold laser?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Dale, I'm so sorry that you are hurting more. I would not horribleize the findings at L1-3... maybe they are painful, maybe not. Wait and see what L & B say. Call me anytime.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-16-2007, 05:41 PM

Fortitudine,

With reference to the cold laser, just what is it and are you referring to my nerve damage or my new disc problems?

Thanks for the suggestion, whichever it might help.

Dale
Old 06-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Default re additional stuff

Dale,
Rotten painful symptoms make me feel like crap. Just like that. I think all kinds of things when my back flares up tho it's been so stable for so long that sometimes when my legs feel like they aren't there~ I go ..uh oh!! I waited too long! Only to keep moving and they are there~ anyway, I do hate painful flareups!!

I had 5 years of residual gnawing horrible pain after my 2nd discectomy and thru my buttocks, into both legs and on the soles of my feet. It was really highly unpleasant (made me want to commit HariCari (sp)) ~

Hope your spine hangs in there to take care of hubby post knee surgery and your knee will be OK too ~

Banish that saying that bad things come in 3's ... Am hoping that good things will be coming your way and in Spades ~ meanwhile, sorry to hear of more pain when you have so much to do!! Good luck and best wishes to your hubster with his upcoming knee surgery!