Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Sneeze = wake-up call? in the Main forums forums; At the beginning of last year, I was saying that I'd certainly be having cervical surgery in 2006. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default Sneeze = wake-up call?

At the beginning of last year, I was saying that I'd certainly be having cervical surgery in 2006. I have large osteophytes w/"moderately severe foraminal stenosis" at 2 levels and early last year, the symptoms were quite limiting. However, the symptoms subsided to annoying levels with them rising to limiting only occasionally. I'm supposed to be getting yearly MRI so I can monitor the size of the osteophytes... if they get to be too big, I'll lose the option to do ADR and they are already marginal.

Yesterday, I sneezed quite hard and when I did, I got an electrical shock in my upper back that spread across my shoulders and up my neck into my head. There was momentary severe pain that went away immediately. The electric shock, tingles, and the sensation of pins (sharp pains... more than 'pins and needles') through my shoulders and neck and head lasted for about 10 minutes... then faded to very minor. The feeling of insects crawling on the left side of my face other annoying sensations L ear and face and left arm are higher than normal, but not too bad.

While the symptoms subsided quickly, the feeling when it occurred was very scary... I had to sit and collect myself and wait to see what might happen. There was a lot of adrenalin and it was almost like being in shock... I don't know if you've ever had a fall or a crash so severe that you just laid there and took inventory.... you couldn't immediately tell if you were hurt or not. That's what this was like.

It's been 16 months since my last cervical MRI... time for another one very soon.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Default bracing

Mark,

With asthma and allergies, my sneezes have become quite 'huge'. I have learned to alway brace myself no matter what, no matter where. Having spine problems or even not, it's a good idea for everyone.

I'm sorry your cervical spine isn't in good shape. You told me so in 2005 but it's progression to the surgical level is sad news. Between you and Diane (and me and Julius) all I can say is thank God for grandchildren because aging sucks!

Our newest will be 1 next week and even with my current problems, I'm happy to say I was able to make the cake, a 3 level jobbie with a bear on top for our little angel to tear into. But that's about me, not you - so please watch out for those sneezes and watch out for the flights to and from Germany. I can't imagine sitting and sleeping in those plane seats do much good for your neck, or hours on the computer. Who, if anyone, have you choosen to do your inevitable surgery?

Please take care - of both of you, Dale
Old 07-08-2007, 10:29 PM

Mark:
I am so sorry you had this scare. I haven't had the pins and needles in my back but I have had them in my arms--and you are so right, they are "bigger than pins." That's why my PT and I have agreed to label them "zingers." The only time they lasted more than seconds at a time, was after a wonderful massage when my muscle guarding finally relaxed and then they were constant for about 20 minutes; once I got back into my now normal spasm state, the zingers let up (what a choice). Hopefully, as Dale suggests, you were caught off guard.
Hopefully, a new MRI will be reassuring.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Just to be clear... I'm not saying that this wake-up call indicates surgery. It warrants a look. Hopefully symptoms will subside and I'll continue saying that my cervical symptoms are "mostly annoying... once in a while limiting." If that is what I continue to describe, it will be difficult to do surgery.

Regarding ultimate surgical decision... that will be made based on the state of the information at the time. I don't know what's involved.... how many levels, etc... If I get to the point where I'm serious about surgery, I'll do what I help my clients to do... investigate options, make informed decisions.

Dale... I'll be trying to improve my sneezing technique... anticipate earlier... not let it sneak up on me. I hope it doesn't involve some bizarre preparation that will make me look like someone trying to escape a wasp.

Mark
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 AM

Default facial sensations

Mark, do you think that facial sensations could be related to cervical discs. The only reason I am asking this is because i have had facial symptoms for some time now. specifically a wet feeling, down one side of my face. from under eye, to around mouth and under mouth. It feels so wet that I have to keep touching it to make sure I am not crying or dribbling. My original neuro ordered a brain scan which was apparently fine. I had some small disc bulges in cervical area. Could these be responsible. I also get the pins and needles and pains in both arms. Oh how I hate growing old.
I am shortly sending email to pick your brains a bit more, re alphaklinic, and who would be best for me. I hope you don't mind me doing this.
best wishes,
M.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Default re the sneeze

Mark,
Getting my cervical MRI results today. Will try to remember to ask for the films.

The sneeze sounds like what has in the past sent my back into a weird inventory space like that... these sensations are what I would get in my legs after getting that pain that is sharp sudden and spreads across the lower lumbar spine about L4/L5S1... in fact, a sneeze used to put my back out of commission completely for awhile and I'd have the ice water running down the lateral aspects of my legs, burning in quads and feeling of ants or something crawling up my legs (lateral aspect) as I recall..

This of course was before both surgeries and still after the 2nd at times.

Now the biggest freaky thing was the sharp pain at T7ish that takes my breath away as it's so severe and stabbingly sharp. Has happened 2 times and I'm frozen when it does. Can't even breath for a second it feels like (bit longer) as inpiration might exacerbate the pain. But it passes quickly. Have DDD at this level per Dr.Spencer.

Yeah.. those weird pains and sensations are really a trip. I'd definately be wanting an MRI ~

When you sneeze brace yourself with something to keep your neck in a neutral position or supported. Kind of like a nice dainty sneeze vs. a big guffaw of one!!! That's all I can think of ~
Old 07-09-2007, 05:49 PM

What I forgot to mention and tried to edit my post was I was told to look directly into a light when you feel a sneeze coming on. It works about 75% of the time. I can't say if it's because you're actually looking into a light or confusing your thought process while looking for a damned light!

The hardest part is remembering to try it

Best of luck to all
Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 PM

Default sneeze

Mark:

What you experienced is similar to the clinical phenomena termed "Lhermitte's sign". These symptoms occur when the cord is ever so slightly touched or in any minor way disturbed. The white matter of the cord is so sensitive it cannot even stand to be bumped. That is why it is encased ever so carefully in fluid and surrounded by a tunnel of bone. It is likely that your sneeze caused a disc to bulge out slightly more and touch your cord or perhaps a vertebral posterior osteophyte may have done this as well. There are several anatomic possibilities which an MRI will elucidate. The significance is that there is a tight space in your cervical spine with very little wiggle room left.

Kari
Old 07-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Welcome Kari, thanks for the answer!!!

Here is my spine from more than a couple of years ago... yes, I could have a little tightness in the canal area.

It's great to have you posting here! I know that you won't be reading on a daily basis, but I'll flag you down if I think you can provide some useful answers.

For the forum members who haven't made the connection yet, Kari is the patient who is described in the Oregonian article I posted today. She is a neurologist who is 2 years post-op from Bertagnoli 2-level lumbar ProDisc.

While the article made it sounds like she's not a complete success, when we spoke today, she talked about 100 mile bike rides, climbing mount hood, skiing double black diamonds and windsurfing. (But she says she sucks at water skiing.)

Again, welcome Kari... thanks... we'll talk again soon.

Mark

Last edited by mmglobal; 07-10-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:13 PM

Your MRI doesn't look good. What's weird is my discs are flat (much worse than yours) but they hardly indent the thecal sac compared to yours - excepting c4/5 which was touching the cord was repaired and seems to have gone right back to touching the cord (almost touching). Repaired meaning a MISS procedure that removed part of the disc but brought ZERO relief from my symptoms.

HealthSynergyRx.com
Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator

So many issues... my problem is the big osteophytes. You can have flat discs with no osteophytes... You can have a small canal so the slightest hint of a stenotic condition can cause huge problems. Another person can have huge herniations and osteophytes, but with a plenty of room in the spinal canal... no big deal.

Symptoms caused by the flat disc... maybe foraminal stenosis related to the lowered disc height... may not be remotely addressed by a MISS procedure designed to reduce the size of a bulge.

Mark