Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Question Re: 3wks post-op in the Main forums forums; I was hoping someone could help me with recovery questions after ProDisc re-placement 3 weeks ago. My husband says ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Question Re: 3wks post-op

I was hoping someone could help me with recovery questions after ProDisc re-placement 3 weeks ago. My husband says I am rushing things. My original pain is gone but I still have pain with bending some and rolling over in bed using my hips. Of course after seven hours of surgery my energy level is still low. My neurosurgeon is great. He also removed a large bone spur and repaired a torn annular. Any advise is welcomed.

Thanks

Martha
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Martha... 3 weeks is not much time. Hip pain is common and can be caused by positioning on the table. Details of your surgery??? 7 hours?

The extreme tiredness can last quite a while.... weeks or more.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM

Question Post op 3 weeks

Sorry, forgot that part. I had DDD and they replaced L4-5 and L5-S1. I feel ok as long as I take the muscle relaxer (Flexeril) am and pm. But if I attempt to do the laundry or even take the kids to school I get uncomfortable. The doctor also removed a bone spur and repaired a torn annular. I have gotten better week by week I just don't know when I will be back to 100 percent. Nurses of course make the worst patients. Thank you for your relpy.

Martha:
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

I just answered the same question on another thread... for your enjoyment, here it is again...

I just dug back through my old emails. This is about hip pain that is caused by positioning on the table. However, I've seen the same type of thing MANY, MANY times through the years with other types of surgery induced pains. 3 weeks is way early. This may take only a few weeks to fade or it may take a few months. I've known a few cases with substantial surgery induced pain that was permanent, but these are very rare and represent a tiny percentage of the patients I know... (reconsidering my answer, the cases I know with permanent pain were in familiar pain patterns - presumably from permanent damage before surgery. However, in some of those cases, the post-op pain was worse than pre-op.)

These are emails from a friend who had 2-level ProDisc in November 2003.
Quote:
12/06/03 Mark, this is the stupidest thing I ever did... the hip pain is so much worse than my pre-op pain. I hope this wasn't a huge mistake!
Quote:
12/18/2003 Oh, and the fu**ing hip pain is back tonite. Happy holidays!"
Quote:
12/25/2003 Just thought I'd give you a quick update on my recovery - today was my second day with NO pain meds. That's right, you heard me, NO pain meds. I still have pain meds, but don't need them, at least for right now.

I have a little discomfort lingering in my left hip (ice takes care of that), but no major pains anywhere. The biggest thing I notice is it feels like both hamstrings down the backs of my legs are really tight, but stretching two or three times a day helps that, along with walking. I'm also sleeping all nigh longt. The only time I woke up the last three nights was because I was coughing - I took some cough syrup and back to sleep I went.

I still feel tired - like I don't have as much energy, but that's probably from my cold. Pretty cool for only 30 days post-op, huh!?!?! I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts - who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Quote:
1/25/2004 Okay - you gotta promise you won't yell at me or shake your head in disgust!......

I mowed my lawn today (just the front). It didn't hurt one bit, and even now, two hours later, I'm still feeling fine. I did wear my back brace however.

I'm dropping off my bike tomorrow for a tune-up - I think I'm ready for a bit more than just walking and stretching.

I'm on my way to having a normal life again.....unbelievable!
Doreen was not in the Army, but she is a cop. She returned to her job, back to high speed chases, wrestling drunks, martial arts training. She's also into horseback riding and was on our ADR ski trip last March. See the video here.

Give it time... you are along for the ride. Your recovery may be fast or slow, but you just had a huge surgery. I'm very encouraged that the things you are asking about don't sound too serious. All the best.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 PM

Hi Martha,

Welcome to the forum. I think that 3 weeks post op is awfully early and by the looks of things, you're pushing it a little. Though I realize that as a mother there are things you just must do but bending to do laundry which involved twisting too is probably too much to ask of yourself right now. I'm also surprised that you have permission to drive yet.

One common thread throughout all back surgeries is that slow and easy wins the game. Pushing yourself serves a negative purpose and though you may claim that you have no choice, the alternative may be worse. I suggest you slow down and right now. This healing process takes months if no a full year or even more, and that's without complications. It's also a roller coaster ride with both good and bad days, however I fear more bad days are in store for you if you don't take extreme care.

Good luck to you, Dale
Old 09-11-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Oh my: Great and encouraging information

Thank you to all!!!!! I thought I was crazy. I will slow down, I thought I should be up and around, working out again at the gym and playing with my boys outside. I have always bounced back early from other procedures ie:c/sections, hernia repairs. I have made a promise to my husband and co-works to slow it down and back off working so many hours. Today I split my incision open a bit getting up and down to much. I learned my lesson.

Again Thank you for all your support.

Martha
Old 09-11-2007, 12:55 AM

OMG!!!

If I am interpreting your post correctly - you are doing waaaayyyy too much at 3 weeks post-op!!! This is evidenced by your statement in regards to your incisional site opening up??? Martha - having been a nurse for some time, it appears that you are straining way too much at what ever activities you are doing. I would definitely back off a bit. Give the healing process time. After a 2 level Prodisc ADR - it took me atleast 2 1/2 months to feel normalish - getting rid of most of the hip / leg pain.

I hope that you will continue to progress - but please take it easy for now.

Take care,
Poncho
Old 09-11-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Thanks for telling her it's TOOO Soon

From Greg

Thanks for getting the replys back for my Wife Martha. I have been trying to tell her its too soon to expect all of the pain to be gone and she nees to slow down. She has always been a little hard headed and a workaholic. She feels alittle scared i think about not being able to do all of the things she could before and wants to test the waters quickly. I think after reading all of the replys so far she has finally got the idea she need sto slow down a little and don't expect miricals only 3 weeks out. She is doing better than she or i expected though. Thanks again. Greg
Old 09-11-2007, 03:13 AM

OMG! As a nurse also I absolutely agree with Poncho! You are in a marathon so to speak...pace yourself!! Did you say you are working? Going to the gym? Did your surgeon approve that?
As poncho said...incision opening up is a huge sign you have over done!
Slow down..your moving too fast! That really is a song and you all should be glad you can't hear me sing...I am tone deaf!
Please be careful!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:38 PM

Smile Thanks to everyone!!!!

Just an update. I have taken everyone's suggestions and slowed down. I have not gone to the gym but my neurosurgeon wants me walking more. Boy the fatigue is awful. I am still going to work but only four to five hours a day, three days a week. I rest the other four days of the week. I am lucky my boss (a physician) is good about my recovery. He lets me come and go as I please. He also just ripped his achilles tendon and had surgery so the office is a little slow now, so everything seems to be working out for me. I go back to the Dr. Oct. 18. Last week I felt like I did post-op week two. It was nasty. I just continued with pain meds and muscle relaxer and finally started to feel better. My incision is healing as well. Thanks again for the help and the but chewing I really do appreciate it. It's one thing from the nagging husband who loves me but I needed to hear it from others that have been threw it.

Martha
L4-5 ProDisc replacement
L5-S1 ProDisc replacement
annular tear