Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Will the radial pain, hip, foot go away? in the Main forums forums; hello..I had surgery on Aug 14th, 2007..aka a couple of weeks ago, prodisc l4-l5-s1. (the l5-...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Will the radial pain, hip, foot go away?

hello..I had surgery on Aug 14th, 2007..aka a couple of weeks ago, prodisc l4-l5-s1. (the l5-s1 disc was disolve back in 1986..i think the operation or product they used to disolved the disc was called chyompain?? sp) Anyway so 20 years later they replaced the void it left and the disc above it.
I remember back in 1986 when the disc was disolved the nerve down the leg quit right away.
Well as you can imagine I am expecting the same type of recovery. I still have that strange hip pain on the left side 2 inchs down from the hip bone and 4 inches down on the right side. That pain increases and decreases with distance I put on my legs..walking..My right foot and calve has been numb the last two days which was rare before the surgery unless I spent a day with the troops.
What are the percentages(success rate) that the nerve pain will stop?
Or is there a point that the nerves get damage and the hips may always hum..that would not make me a happy camper..
I am currently in the army (one year left and I will have 20)...so ruck marches, running and close quarter combat have been in my life for 19 years.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator

I just dug back through my old emails. This is about hip pain that is caused by positioning on the table. However, I've seen the same type of thing MANY, MANY times through the years with other types of surgery induced pains. 3 weeks is way early. This may take only a few weeks to fade or it may take a few months. I've known a few cases with substantial surgery induced pain that was permanent, but these are very rare and represent a tiny percentage of the patients I know...

These are emails from a friend who had 2-level ProDisc in November 2003.
Quote:
12/06/03 Mark, this is the stupidest thing I ever did... the hip pain is so much worse than my pre-op pain. I hope this wasn't a huge mistake!
Quote:
12/18/2003 Oh, and the fu**ing hip pain is back tonite. Happy holidays!"
Quote:
12/25/2003 Just thought I'd give you a quick update on my recovery - today was my second day with NO pain meds. That's right, you heard me, NO pain meds. I still have pain meds, but don't need them, at least for right now.

I have a little discomfort lingering in my left hip (ice takes care of that), but no major pains anywhere. The biggest thing I notice is it feels like both hamstrings down the backs of my legs are really tight, but stretching two or three times a day helps that, along with walking. I'm also sleeping all nigh longt. The only time I woke up the last three nights was because I was coughing - I took some cough syrup and back to sleep I went.

I still feel tired - like I don't have as much energy, but that's probably from my cold. Pretty cool for only 30 days post-op, huh!?!?! I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts - who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Quote:
1/25/2004 Okay - you gotta promise you won't yell at me or shake your head in disgust!......

I mowed my lawn today (just the front). It didn't hurt one bit, and even now, two hours later, I'm still feeling fine. I did wear my back brace however.

I'm dropping off my bike tomorrow for a tune-up - I think I'm ready for a bit more than just walking and stretching.

I'm on my way to having a normal life again.....unbelievable!
Doreen was not in the Army, but she is a cop. She returned to her job, back to high speed chases, wrestling drunks, martial arts training. She's also into horseback riding and was on our ADR ski trip last March. See the video here.

Give it time... you are along for the ride. Your recovery may be fast or slow, but you just had a huge surgery. I'm very encouraged that the things you are asking about don't sound too serious. All the best.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

I'm reconsidering my answer. In the cases I know with permanent radicular pain after surgery, the pain is in familiar pain patterns, presumably from damage done before the surgery. However, in some of these rare cases, the pain is worse than pre-op.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-11-2007, 01:02 AM

Hi Robprodisc,

You are a fellow recipient of the same device I received at both levels of the lumbar spine. This will take time to heal. In my case, it took about 2 1/2 to 3 months for the hip and leg pain to resolve and then it would reoccur intermittently - but not as bad. Please allow time to heal for now and follow your docs advice regarding activity.

Sincerely,
Poncho
Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Update..37 days later.

37 days..Well my legs are still getting many signals. 90 percent of the signals are the same as before the operation. I still have small amount of hip pain on the left and right that increase with the distance I walk..but i do believe it is getting better.
The nerve pain has also move around..for instance I get nerve ending in my legs at different locations that I didnt have before, that will report pain just for a split second. Lets you know its healing.

The most problems I am having is calf pain (lots of knots in them)..and its been constant. I compare it to growing pains as a teen. (that ironic seeing how I am now one inch taller ) Maybe I just answer my own question. LOL
I have trouble sleeping because of the sore legs, so I take flexiral and maybe 5 mg perc if the pain really hurts.
I just want to run...Anyone else have the calf cramps. leg pain.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Robprodisc,

You had your disc replacement 3 days before mine. Same levels. First this is a great sight for information. I also have the hip pain when I walk alot. It gets easier the more you do it and day by day. What has helped me is trying to find a way to stretch without the back hurting. I do alot of it in bed lifting my legs and reaching up. Not alot but some. My doctor does not want me bending past a 45 degree angle. Also pointing your toes several times a day really helps as well. I was very limber before my surgery and it is killing me not to be able to stretch as much. I did not realize the extent of the recovery. I figured when the doctor said your pain should be better or gone I took that to be I would have no pain at all. Big mistake.

Take Care and take it easy.

Martha
Prodisc L4-5, S1
Old 09-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Is this normal?

I am 3 weeks post op for L5/S1 decompression and fusion. I am a 63 year old famale. My question is: When I keep my spine straight and do not bend at all I am almost pain free, but when I bend in any direction I get the same siatica pain and foot pain I had before surgery. My md told me at two weeks post op that I could bend and put on my shoes but I can't without pain. Is this normal and has anyone had this experience? I am worried that the pain will not be any better in the future.
I appreciate any advice as I am beginning to panic.