Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss How long Will It Take? in the Main forums forums; It had been 6 weeks since my L5/S1 decompression and fusion and I am still in as much pain ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Default How long Will It Take?

It had been 6 weeks since my L5/S1 decompression and fusion and I am still in as much pain as the first weeks post op., it this normal?

I have tried to wean myself off the hydrocodone, but I get in so much pain that I want to walk the floor and cry.

If you have gone through anything like this please share with me as I am beginning to worry that I may not get better.

I have had several serious surgeries before but this one is the worse of all.

Please reply.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Adessa, I'm so sorry that you are suffering in this way. It's not uncommon for people to have very difficult recoveries from fusions (and other spine surgeries, including ADR). 6 weeks is still early... don't panic, but don't let your doc off the hook... what does he say?

Good luck,

Mark

PS... back pain, leg pain??? What are your symptoms? Are they similar pain as pre-op pain or different?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 PM

Adessa-

My husband would be the better person to reply to you, as he is the one who had the posterior fusion w/instrumentation at L4-5. Hopefully I can get him to pop in.

I just wanted to let you know that he still, fifteen years after the fact, can recall quite well the painful recovery from his fusion. His recollection is that even through the most incredible surgical pain he had ever had (and he had been through two prior back surgeries and brain surgery!), he could tell that the mechanical pain that drove him to fusion was gone. Never-the-less, the leg pain was much worse for a period of months (that seems to be his shtick), and much of the post-op pain was intense, but different.

If I can recall correctly, I believe his timeline went something like this:

1.)First two months just sucked beyond belief. Hard to know if anything would ever be better.
2.) Third and fourth month better, but still painful, and easily fatigued.
3.) 6 months - 18 months to really reach maximum functionality. Figure out what he could do/what he could never do again w/o causing a major flare (ride a horse)/what he could do that would result in pain that would "predictably" subside (drive for more than 6 hours.)

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 PM

Adessa,

I'm so sorry that you are going through this painful period. This post-op period just takes time and a lot of patience. Even 3 years out after surgery, I am noticing improvements.

Please feel free to come and vent anytime. This is a tough period to go through. We definitely need each other for support because family members and friends can only relate so far.

Sending pain free vibes,

Poncho
Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM

Adessa,

I am so sorry you still find yourself in extreme pain, especially after undergoing a fusion that you thought would make it 'all better'. The truth is spine's are unpredicitable. While some truly find the relief they so hoped for, others don't. I learned this the hard way and though my two year anniversary is just days away, I continue to improve yet still have problems. Two months is still very early and as the swelling begins to go down, you should probably begin to notice less pain. However, I wouldn't give up the pain meds until they're no longer needed. Pain is not pleasant and there's no need to suffer if help is out there.

I hope your pain subsides and wish you a speedier recovery.

Dale
Old 10-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks to all of you, I appreciate your response to my question.
I will see my doctor Monday and I plan to talk to him about my pain meds.
Thanks Again