Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Two year anniversary, time flies in the Main forums forums; Yesterday was my 2 year anniversary of my 3 level Prodisc. (I went to an art show, an event I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Two year anniversary, time flies

Yesterday was my 2 year anniversary of my 3 level Prodisc. (I went to an art show, an event I love but found it too difficult until last year). The first question is would I do it again. The simple answer is yes but often, there is no simple answer and my circumstances present just that case.

Prior to my surgery I basically had no life. Unable to even sit at the dinner table with my family, today I am able to cook dinner. Unable to paint, my beloved hobby and calming influence of 20+ years, I’m happy to report that I just delivered a portrait wedding gift, albeit 5 years later (fortunately, they’re still together with 2 children). I could only watch my family grow from the sidelines, Today, I can play with my precious grandchildren. I had lost a desire to do most things and worst of all, lost touch with many friends. Desperate for the return of some normalcy I jumped at this chance for relief, making my decision to go forth with the surgery an easy one. Though still petrified, I really had no other choice except fusion, which was not on my table. Fortunately I found Mark who steered me to Dr. B and the rest as they say, is history. The story of my recovery is long and convoluted… and we’ll leave it at that.

However, for me there is also a down side. If I cook my family’s dinner, I’m pretty much done, leaving the clean up for everyone else. While that’s not so bad, it makes me feel ‘less’. I can only paint for half a day because I can’t sit for more than 3-4 hours. My floor play with my grandchildren is limited to just a few minutes – not so bad for my 4 year old but not great for my 1 year old. I’m beginning to reconnect with friends but am finding some of them reluctant.

My surgery left me with two problems. Though I had four bad levels, my discogram revealed that L2/3 was not a pain generator and as discussed in this forum, discs are not replaced preemptively. Well L2/3 has become a pain generator and causes the above mentioned limitations. I’m not sure what I will do about it. With my Dr.’s permission, I resumed my decompression therapy which has already helped quite a bit and have found some relief with acupuncture.

Also, during my surgery the nerve root to my left leg was ‘irritated’ leaving me with a dead leg. It has been quite slow in coming back (it may never fully heal) and is not only painful for which I must take Lyrica, Celebrex and Soma daily, but also causes extreme limitations. Walking is difficult and my leg is basically weak. Due to my leg, I still consider myself disabled. This week I will be discussing with my pm any advantages to switching to pain relief only. Had Dr. B not been my surgeon I would be second guessing the inevitability of my condition but I know I had the best and this distraction damage was unavoidable. The positive side, after a nerve test, the neurologist found my nerves to still be alive and recovery is possible… up to 3 years. My pm suggested acupuncture with which I’ve found remarkable improvement. However I started it after 1½ years. I was told the results would have been better had I started after 6 months, so for those of you finding yourselves in similar situations, keep this in mind.

As you can see, I can go from grateful to angry, bitter or resolved in the span of less than a minute. But the short version is I AM better off today than before my ADR surgery and yes, I AM glad that I went to Germany.

My best to all, both pre and post and even on the fence,
Dale
Old 10-14-2007, 02:08 AM

Default 2 year anniversary

Dale,
What I liked reading in your above anniversary report was that you felt you knew when it was time to have your surgery, you were happy with your choice of surgeons, and even tho the result hasn't rendered perfect results, you do feel/realize improvement with surgery that was done.

You may have some residual or even new problems but they don't sound like they've kept you as grounded/laid out/down as your pre op status and that sounds like progress to me!

Wishing you continued progress and eventual resolution (or as close as it can get) to *what ails ya* spine wise!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Dale, it's hard to believe that it's been 2 years already. I wish your recovery was more complete and I understand the frustration of "my back pain is better, but my leg pain is worse." It great to be thankful that you got improvement, but it's tough to enjoy a victory when your life is still so limited.

I hope we can get together soon. All the best,

Mark

PS... kitchen done?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 PM

Thank you for sharing your summary.

As I am facing a very similar at least 2 but possible 3 level ADR at the same place and surgeon I take your story seriously including the fact that things don't always go perfectly. Your leg problem has me a little concerned as I already have so much trouble in my legs, in addition to the low back pain.

I hope I have the energy to post an update.

Aarne

ADR with Bertagnoli on November 7th 07.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Aarne,

The nerve damage I sustained was a result of the surgery itself, when distracting the disc space. Though distraction damage is a common part of this surgery, it generally resolves itself in a short amount of time. The severity of my damage is unusual.

The pain you now have in your legs is not the same. You have every reason to be hopeful that this pain will ultimately disappear once the cause, I assume a herniated disc, is removed.

I wish you the very best of luck along with a speedy and uneventful recovery. Just remember to take it slow. I do believe you've got the best surgeon. Please keep us posted.

Dale