Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss I need advice please!! in the Main forums forums; I am in a panic, it has been 8 weeks now and I am still no better with pain than ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 12:19 PM

Default I need advice please!!

I am in a panic, it has been 8 weeks now and I am still no better with pain than before surgery in the hips, back and feet. I went to my md last Monday and he just shruged it off and wrote a prescription for pain for 2 more weeks.

I am in the same shape I was in before surgery and fear that I may have made a mistake and have gone through all of the pain and misery for nothing.
I am very depressed because if I bend or twist in any way what so ever I get into awful pain.

I don't want to sound like a coward, but I had my hopes up that my pain would be better at least by this time, but it seems to be just as bad.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM

I did not tell you what kind of surgery I had Sponylolisthesis L5/S1, Decompression and Fusion With Titanium bars and screws.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

What do other levels look like? Did they do a discogram prior to surgery?

8 weeks can still be early days after a fusion... you may still get substantial improvement, but if symptoms are identical to pre-op, it's hard to say.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-25-2007, 02:18 AM

Mark,
I have never had a discogram. I have had two sessions of pt and nine epidural injections.
I am in no better if not worse condition than before surgery.
I do hope pt can give me some advise for self help. You are just existing
not living when you have this degree of pain and both of my md's (my gp and or surgeon) do not like to give narcotic pain meds for very long.
Just hope I get some relief soon.
Thanks for your support.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 PM

Addessa,

I'm sorry you're still in the same pain as prior to your surgery. From reading many posts, it appears that fusions surgery recovery times are longer than even ADR and other back surgeries but I would think you'd have at least some relief.

As for narcotics, I was on them for 6 months following my surgery and others, much longer. If your doctors are uncomfortable prescribing the appropriate pain relief, I suggest a pain management doctor. Their specialty is relieving your pain. My doctor referred me to a pm as soon as I returned from Germany. Two years later, I'm still seeing him.

By the way, a discogram would have defined the discs that actually generated your pain. Perhaps S1/L5 was your only one...??? Maybe a pm can shed some light on your situation and recommend an appropriate course of action, including a consult with another doctor... and then again, maybe the healing process is just taking its sweet time.

I do hope you find relief soon,

Dale