Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Dynesys a positive view 2007 in the Main forums forums; Hi. As requested I am starting a new thread. Unusually so it seems with a positive view of Dynesys. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Dynesys a positive view 2007

Hi. As requested I am starting a new thread. Unusually so it seems with a positive view of Dynesys. I have always played a lot of tennis and was a promising junior in as much as I played for my county(Sussex). I guess as a result of this at such a young age I was always going to have back problems as my Father and Mother and Sister all have. I had a disceptomy about 6 years ago after slipping my disc. I had major pain in my leg and numbness. This all got better after the op and all was well for a while but I went back to tennis and before long I was suffering again but this time no leg pain and no new numbness. This of course meant that there was no nerve problems. I went on anti-inflammatories for about 4 years(not recommended) which eventually messed my tummy up. Without these the pain was too bad and decided to get something done. Anyway Dynesys was recommended by the Consultant as my pain was apparently caused by disc degeneration and a chemical that is excreted by the disc when under compression. I had the procedure on the 12 Nov 2007 and was discharged on the afternoon of the 13 Nov. I was quite surprised at how quickly I have recovered. I was off pain meds in a week and now 2 1/2 weeks on there is some discomfort from the healing precess but very little else. It is too early to tell how successful this has been but all feels good at present. I had Dynesys at 2 levels L4 and L5 and so far recommend the procedure as my back feels strong. I hope to go back to work in the new year(Ihave been off work since January 2007) but I am not going to rush anything. If anybody has any questions then I will be pleased to help if I can. Regards Nigel
Old 12-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Congratulations! You had your Dynesys - at the same 2 levels - 3 days after I! You are recovering much more quickly. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Nigel, thanks for the details. Your early success should give you high confidence! I'm glad to hear that you are going to take it slowly in ramping up your activities... be cautious.

Was your procedure at 1 disc level? L4-L5... do you have 4 screws or 6?

Thanks again... I hope to hear about your continued success!

Mark

PS... if my knees survive... maybe we can hit some tennis balls some time.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Dynesys my levels

Hi Mark sorry I wasn't clear about my levels. I had Dynesys done at 2 levels 4 and 5. So I hit the jackpot and had 6 screws. The lower of the 2 discs Consultant said had just about fused itself so instread of fusing that one he decided to Dynesys it and the disc above was not as bad and was always his intension to Dynesys that one in the hope it may regenerate. As for the tennis I would be glad to have a knock with you if and when I am able. I must say I am a bit cautious about the possibility of the screws coming loose despite my consultant tells me this is rare. I am still doing ok I think except as it is still healing inside it does not take much to make it ache. I am hoping this is just the healing process as everybody in my family keeps telling me I only had the op 3 weeks ago. Anyway good to hear from you Regards Nigel
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Hi Sunflower.

Hi nice to hear from you. Are you having problems after your Dynesys. It is possible you were worse than me pre-op as I had no nerve pain or anything like that. I hope all is going a bit better for you since your post. I am still getting aches with it and the occasional twinge but as I told Mark everyone keeps telling me I am expecting too much after such a short space of time. Anyway please feel free to contact me anytime if you so wish. Regards Nigel
Old 12-07-2007, 04:27 AM

Default Thanks!

Hi Nigel

Thank you for starting this thread. I am a candidate for dynesys, and your posts are encouraging. I am anxious to hear from more people before I decide. There seems to be mostly negative experiences posted on the web, while all the published lit seems quite positive.

I hope you have real success and a fast recovery.

Good luck!
Art Favinger

My history:
C6/C7 fusion 7/98
C5/C6 partial laminectomy 11/99
C5/C6 partial laminectomy 11/01
C5/C6 fusion with partial laminectomies at various levels 5/02
Competed in 36 mile bicycle leg of Ski-to-Sea Race 5/03 & 5/04, did just fine
L3/L4/L5 partial laminectomy 9/04
Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Nice to hear

About a positive outcome with Dynesys and hope you'll continue to reap the benefits of a successful outcome! Wishing you continued good healing and health! Thank you much for sharing your outcome!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:56 AM

Default most people

Hi Art. I think that generally people who have nothing to complain about will generally say nothing. That I think is why you mainly get only bad reviews not just on Dynesys but on things in general. I thought that I would break the trend. Im not going to say its perfect yet still feels like its healing inside but it is no-where near as bad as I was lead to believe although I concede that everybody is different.. If I were you I would fefinately consider the procedure, lets face it it is no real worry as the whole thing is totally reversable. Anyway feel free to ask me more questions if you so wish. Regards Nigel
Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Hi Maria

Thanks for your kind message it was very thoughtful of you. Regards Nigel
Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 PM

Hi,

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how they work (and I have a system inside of me!!) - Did you get yours with a fusion? It's a 2-level Dynesys fusion you have?

Thanks - glad you're still doing well.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Thanks

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the response. My neck surgeries were quite successful. Unfortunately it took a few. Ultimately it was decision to not just address what was symptomatic but to clean up my whole neck, but five months after my last neck surgery I was doing yoga, and a year later was biking and canoeing again. I should make more effort to share information about that success.

I do not take surgery lightly though. I thought I'd had my quota. Every time they cut on you there are risks. I'm soaking my raisins, taking my glucosamine, and eating my acai berry capsules. And then there's frozen vodka shots in the evening and the occasional vicodin. My schedule will not permit surgery until after March, so I will continue to explore options, but Dynesis is certainly at the top of the menu.

Thanks again, and good luck to all of you dealing with pain and spine issues. It is a tough road at times.

Art
Old 12-09-2007, 10:17 AM

Default hi sunflower

I just had the Dynesys not bone fusion or anything. If your not sure how it works there is plenty of lit on the net. You said I am do ing better than you what probs are you having? Mine is feeling better every day to the point where I hardly think about it. I can even reach down to put socks and shoes on now. I can still feel it healing inside but less and less now so quite happy at mo. The test of course will be in the new year when I try to return to work then we'll see. All the best Nigel
Old 12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Administrator

After this thread was posted, I sent email to an old client I haven't spoken to in over a year. He was at my NY conference in 2005 already with his 3-level Dynesys. I got a reply today... he'll be along soon. In case it takes a while for him to post... here's part of the email:

Quote:
I'll get something together about the Dynesys - so far, so good. I'm even playing tennis occasionally.
Am enclosing my latest eagle ray shot. Taken free-diving in Maui at about 35 feet. Wingspan appeared to be about 6 ft.
Cheers
Old 01-23-2008, 05:55 PM

Default just an update

Hi just a quick update. Its just over 2 months now since my Dynesys and all is great. Had my latest check up yesterday and all looks fine on xray. Am now back at work as a coach driver which is renowned for being bad for backs but so far no problems and feels really good. The radiologist could not believe how muck movement I had I could almost touch my toes which if my leg muscles were more supple I could probably do. Anyway all great.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Pasted from my other post on another thread...

Quote:
Nigel... what great news.

There is no way to describe what it's like to come back to life and be your old self again... congrats!

I look forward to hearing more about your experience and your continued success.

All the best,

Mark
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM

Default on a waitng list

hi nigel

i'm on a waiting list for dyneses prob about june and i am so pleased to
have read your positive outcome, are you still as positive and how are you
getting on back at work? i have been of work since may 2007 due to disc degeneration pain am on morphine and opiods with the anti sickness to
compensate, i really just want to feel human again and like the happy person
i used to be. my prob is L4/5 L5/S1 i believe this is where yours was?
you said you was off work a while did you feel useless and is there anything your still having trouble doing?

thanks wendy