Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Anti-inflammatory in the Main forums forums; Well, I am finally off all drugs (except as needed) except an anti-inflammatory. I had a horrible time with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Anti-inflammatory

Well, I am finally off all drugs (except as needed) except an anti-inflammatory. I had a horrible time with the Lyrica, a surprise to all, and was sick for about 2 months. I tried it getting off the a-inflam too for several days but not yet... maybe later.

I'm currently taking Celebrex with which my pm sees no problem but I am uncomfortable with it long term considering the label warning. Does anyone know of any other nsaid that does not have the same possible side effects? I suspect I'll be on this drug for a long time.

Happy holidays, Dale
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Administrator

It'll be interesting to see what kind of advice you get for this... I'll see if my pharmacist and PM resources here will come and post.

I still take anti-inflammatories, now more than 5 years since my surgery. I still have a small numb spot on my foot and it is somewhat hypersensitive. There is nothing that I won't do with these annoying symptoms. I'm good enought that I can forget to take the a-i's for a few days, but when I do, the discomfort creeps up significantly.

I took diclofenac (voltaren) both before and after my surgery. Celebrex was OK, but not better than voltaren, so why spend the money... especially since I did not seem to have any GI problems. Bextra was the best, but they killed it with the vioxx and other med scares. I'm now taking Mobic... seems to be OK.

Also, I notice that when I stop the a-i's, my knees hurt more.

OK... I'll see who will come and and discuss the issues associated with long term NSAID use.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to B13s

I personally take Arthotec - which is basically diclofenac + misoprostol - seems to be OK so far.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:10 PM

Hi Dale

After a CT scan last spring Dr D recommended that I switch from Advil to Alive (don’t mean to sound like a commercial but..). After a week of the Alive saturating my system, I experienced a big difference. The pain in my hip was gone and I could exercise more. Now that was some expensive advice as the CT scan cost my insurance over $5,000. I can tell when I forget my dose, as the pain is right back. I also have the knee stiffness and achy feet. Arthritis runs in my family.

I too worry about the repercussions affects from long-term use and get labs to keep an eye on things. I also don't drink alcohol on a regular basis. Personally I would rather have my a-i’s then a drink.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
Powered by ProDisc
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 12-22-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Nsaids

Oral use of nsaids seems to give me great GI distress. Cox inhibitor had same effect. Injex of Toradol of late have been awesome for cervical discomfort and abated lumbar spasms almost instantly. Maybe placebo effect...nah.

I cannot imagine not taking Neurontin or Methadone at this point as the last few days w/damp rainy weather (or beginning of the week) had my knees and back aching so much I could hardly be out and about. Knees were both killing me at nighttime re aching.

Have a script for Arthotec but it's so expensive I decided to just hang on to it as I'm not sure it will work well enough for me.

Re long term nsaid use if one can tolerate them and take them correctly and they help then go for it. I took them back in the early 80's and 90's and didn't take them w/meals ~ had GI probs back then just not diagnosed as I didn't want one more thing on insurance while working.

There are times I wish I could pop an Aleve!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:20 AM

I take my NSAIDS with Prilosec in the hope that this will protect my stomach lining. Not sure how well this works 'tho; get differing opinions from pharmacists.

Good luck - Allan
Old 12-23-2007, 03:12 PM

Default re nsaids and prilosec

In the latter years of prescribing nsaids I was always given something for the gut yet I still got this epigastric wrenching pain, as tho I had taken Erythromycin (does a similar thing to me) as does Vioxx. Usually end up w/twisting low gut pain w/nsaids as well. Was dxed w/hiatal hernia, GERD and other...

Spent long time on GI meds for healing and haven't taken any for nearly a year now.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:33 PM

It's weird since I'm the side effect queen but I get no stomache distress from nsaids at all. I've been warned to watch my stomache but so far, (pth, pth, pth) I'm good. Still worried about long term use though.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Have a script for Arthotec but it's so expensive I decided to just hang on to it as I'm not sure it will work well enough for me.
Expensive ? At least in Germany 100 pills costs ~65 Euro - don't think that's expensive at all, in comparison Katadolon & Cymbatla go for ~200 Euro...
Old 12-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Default re the Arthrotec

Recently prescribed this after Urgent Care visit for neck and can't remember the number of pills on script but cost was going to be $125 so I decided to "wait and see". It may not be that much to some people but for me on a fixed income that was a bit much for that day at least.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Can't comment on Germany's medical insurance styles but Maria, did you ever consider including prescription coverage in your insurance? Though I have an annual deductible separate from medical coverage, once met, brand names are $25 and generics are $15. Compounding isn't covered.

If you're on a group plan that doesn't offer it, a little internet research might reveal buying your own or check out AARP. I hate that fact that I'm old enough to belong but enjoy some of the benefits like senior citizen discounts.

Dale (Happy holidays)
Old 12-25-2007, 08:02 PM

Default prescription coverage

I have BCBS of Ma. for medical w/prescription coverage. I do check 'round usually for cash pay scripts if not something urgent. I didn't feel the Arthotec was something I desperately needed and didn't want to chance paying the full price and finding out it was not a helpful script for me as sometimes varying ones can be. I still have the prescription should I desire to have it filled at some point. I'd like a few samples to see how it goes at that price if possible!

thanks for suggestions Dale~

Last edited by Maria; 12-25-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Arthotec is the same as Voltaren - diclofenac, however it has misoprostol added to protect your stomach - and this is why it's expensive. Initially I was taking Voltaren + something else for stomach, but latter decided to switch to something 'all in one' - just for the simple reason of reducing amount of pills to take...
Old 12-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Default re script

You know actually I have tried Volteran alone and with GI meds which at the moment I cannot recall which as this has been a good time ago and I have tried Arthrotec as well. Now I'm glad that my memory is being prodded a bit as neither drug was very helpful for me except my right knee felt better. Thanks~ even tho I didn't even bother to look the medication up I knew on some level of recall it wasn't helpful to me in the past.

I worked in an Ambulatory Care Family Practice clinic for years and even tho I had many prescriptions given to me while working w/low back pain, I was given equally as many samples by drug reps. Back in the day I was also being manipulated frequently either in PT or by the Osteopaths I worked with.

What did help my back and really felt like it would tear me apart at the epigastric area was Vioxx. I would take it and a half hour later I'd be doing so well. Unfortunately I'd get this terrific feeling of pressure right below the epigastric area and then feeling like my sternum was being torn apart.

Needless to say I didn't take this drug too often and then it was pulled from the market.

Last edited by Maria; 12-26-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Talking to my doc in the states I was told people react differently to NSAIDs so there is nothing wrong with trying others until you find one you like.

My two favorite seem to be Feldene 20 mg(piroxicam) and Mobic. The voltern is good but not a good long term choice I've been told.