Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Discography costs in the Main forums forums; I have a client who was charged 20K for lumbar discography. I can't believe that there are service providers ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Default Discography costs

I have a client who was charged 20K for lumbar discography. I can't believe that there are service providers out there who take advantage of people in this way.

Another client will have discography soon... costing over 5K - not including post-disco-CT. This is a special price for 'payment, date of service'... kind of like a cash price.

I called an imaging center that I've used in the past and asked for 'payment, date of service' price. $1500 for the discography... post-disco-CT is another 600. This is for everything... facility fee, doctor administering test... everything.

Obviously, cost is not the only concern and getting quality results is paramount. Having said that, paying more does not insure quality and conversely, paying less does not necessarily mean that quality will be absent. It's just that some facilities will compete for our business and some don't feel the need to. Sadly, they'll provide the same services for a fraction of the cost for an insurance provider, then will hammer someone who can't afford it for several times their customary fee... because they can???

How the patients are supposed to insure that they get quality testing done is beyond me. There is a huge difference from one discography to the next.

Just a little rant and vent... this is always frustrating to watch.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-13-2008, 07:19 PM

Often times, because of a patients insurance reimbursement, a doctor will "jack-up" the cost of a procedure to try and recoup a "reasonable" amount from the pt.'s insurer. I can not understand it if this is a cash only settlement between the MD and the Pt.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 PM

Default discography costs

Mark,
May I ask what is customary cash fee at some of the facilities you work with in Germany? I realize you cannot post anything in terms of absolutes~ just wondering though since this topic was brought up.

In the examples given in your original post I'm guessing the number of levels are taken into consideration as to the cost even tho it may vary or differ quite a bit from one provider/facility to another.

I can see why WC would like to get rid of me since I've had 3 discograms to date!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Administrator

From what I've seen, discography prices in Germany will fall to less than 1000 Euro for 1 or 2 levels and slightly over 1000 up for more.

This was true when the Euro cost less than a buck. Now that the Euro costs $1.50, it's about the same there as it is here... unless you are going to a facility here that costs much, much more.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM

A little rant and vent my eyeballs!

Our medical system has never been perfect but back in the early '90s and prior, health insurance was a fairer propostition with insurers claiming only a reasonable share of the profits, not all. They did not interfere with a doctor's level of care. Reasonable medical costs have always been higher than we'd like but a doctor's charges weren't whittled down to nothing by greedy companies looking to make their fortunes from someone's elses education and hard work.

I have nothing nice to say about today's health care system. I have nothing nice to say about any doctor trying to rip the shirts off his patients by charging outrageous amounts for needed tests and care. I have nothing nice to say about our politicians who not only allow this but also reap their share of profiteering.

And by the way, health insurers are not alone in their greed and oft times illegal manuevering. Just look at New Orleans, or L.A. after the earthquake as two examples of the fraud, deceit and downright conspiracy. I adhore those damned commercials that tell us how much they care. The only thing they care about is putting your money in their pockets and keeping it there.

No, my eyeballs do not feel better!

Last edited by dshobbies; 02-14-2008 at 04:51 PM.