Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Duragesic and Sandoz 25mcg patch recall in the Main forums forums; Received in an email from the American Pain Foundation Duragesic Patch Recall On Tuesday, February 12, 2008, patches containing the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to tisury
Default Duragesic and Sandoz 25mcg patch recall

Received in an email from the American Pain Foundation

Duragesic Patch Recall
On Tuesday, February 12, 2008, patches containing the prescription pain medication fentanyl were voluntarily recalled because of a flaw that could cause patients or caregivers to overdose on the potent medication inside. Sold in the United States under the brand name Duragesic by PriCara and generically by Sandoz, Inc., the recall includes all 25-microgram-per-hour patches with expiration dates on or before December 2009. Other strength patches (12.5, 50, 75 and 100 mcg/hr) are not affected.

If you have recently received a new supply of the 25 mcg/hr Duragesic patch with an expiration date on or before December 2009, the following actions are recommended:

Check the box or foil pouch for the expiration date to see if they have patches that are being recalled (dates on or before December 2009).
Contact the following manufacturer immediately for further instructions:
Anyone with 25 mcg/hr Duragesic patches being recalled should call 800-547-6446.
Anyone with 25 mcg/hr Sandoz Inc. patches being recalled should call 800-901-7236.
Notify your healthcare provider who prescribed this pain medication that you have received a recalled lot.
For more detailed information about the recall, please click here.
Oct 2004-very minor improvement -severe nerve pain in hips,legs, and backside has not improved.
Rhizotomy L2-L5 no relief
Sept 2005-Positional MRI shows bulges at L3-4 &
L4-5 impinging on nerves
May 2006 Nuleoplasty L3-5 no help
May 22 2007-2nd ADR surgery-2 level Prodisc (L34 &
L45) & vertebroplasty - Dr. Bertagnoli -Germany.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

tisury, thanks for the post.

I've been hearing stories about patients unable to get their meds since the recall. It's a really tough situation... pharmacies can't sell them... if you can't get to your pain doc and get an alternative.... you are out in the cold.

thanks again... all the best.

Mark

PS... please post an update... let us know how you are doing.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to tisury

I went down to 50 mcg from 100 mcg after my last surgery, but have been unable to go any lower. Still having a real rough time with the sciatic pain and pain in my hips. I will try to post more later, but the short version of my story is that although my front leg pain is much better since the last surgery, the pain in the low back, back of legs, and hips is real bad. I am still far from being a fully functioning person, have very little qualtiy of life, still on more meds than I care to be, and truthfully, I don't feel as I have any options left anymore. As for the patches, it has me a little concerned about what exactly the "defect" is and how they are sure it does not affect the other dosages. If you are on the 25 mcg, it must be really hard to get your meds. The only other brand I know of is Mylan, and in my opinion they aren't worth the money. Could never get that brand to stick to me for more than a couple hours and they are intended to last 2 to 3 days. Have not heard of any Mylan recalls though. There has always been somewhat of a risk even before the recall, and I would advise anyone who feels "different" after changing a patch to remove it and contact their doctor.
Oct 2004-very minor improvement -severe nerve pain in hips,legs, and backside has not improved.
Rhizotomy L2-L5 no relief
Sept 2005-Positional MRI shows bulges at L3-4 &
L4-5 impinging on nerves
May 2006 Nuleoplasty L3-5 no help
May 22 2007-2nd ADR surgery-2 level Prodisc (L34 &
L45) & vertebroplasty - Dr. Bertagnoli -Germany.

Last edited by tisury; 02-19-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Wow Susan... I'm so sorry to hear your report. It doesn't seem so long ago that I saw you looking so much improved after your surgery. Did you improve, then backslide? Or, were you hopeful with some improvement after your surgery and were expecting more, but it never came? Other scenarios?

I hope to hear better news in the future... All the best....

Mark

PS... other duragesic thread here...

FDA Fentanyl Warning
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org