Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Airport strike in Germany - rail strike threatened in the Main forums forums; From: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/worl...y-Strikes.html Airport Workers Go on Strike in Germany By THE ASSOCIATED ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default Airport strike in Germany - rail strike threatened

From: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/worl...y-Strikes.html

Airport Workers Go on Strike in Germany

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: March 5, 2008
Filed at 5:39 a.m. ET

BERLIN (AP) -- Scores of flights were canceled Wednesday after thousands of airport workers walked off their jobs at several German airports, part of a wider labor action to win higher pay for public service workers.

At Frankfurt International Airport -- Germany's largest and Europe's third-busiest -- more than 2,000 baggage handlers, check-in counter workers, airport firefighters and ground crew workers joined the strike, said ver.di union representative Frank Bsirske.

''Either the public employers make an offer with clear salary increases and without increased work hours, or we will show them our strength,'' Bsirske said at a rally at the airport.

Ver.di has called for an 8-percent raise for Germany's 1.3 million public service workers, backdated to Jan. 1.

The government has countered with a 5 percent increase over two years, accompanied by a longer working week -- an offer ver.di rejected.

The employers signaled a willingness to negotiate Wednesday. ''We seek a compromise,'' said Thomas Boehle, president of the employers' organization.

In Berlin -- where subway, tram and bus workers launched a 10-day strike Wednesday -- ver.di wants pay increases of up to 12 percent.

''We can hold out for a very, very long time,'' Berlin ver.di representative Frank Baesler warned on RBB radio.

The pay disputes come amid concern in Germany over perceptions that wealth from the country's recent economic upswing is being distributed unfairly.

Over recent weeks, companies including automaker BMW AG and mobile phone manufacturer Nokia Corp. have announced job cuts despite healthy earnings.

At Germany's second biggest airport, in Munich, 100 of 462 planned flights for Wednesday morning were canceled, spokesman Peter Pruemm said. Another 69 flights were canceled in Hamburg.

In all, Lufthansa said it called off 142 flights countrywide because of the strikes, which also affected airports in Duesseldorf, Nuremberg, Stuttgart, Saarbruecken, Cologne-Bonn, Dortmund and Muenster-Osnabrueck. Transcontinental flights were not affected, Lufthansa said.

The public service strikes started Tuesday, halting public transport for several hours in Hanover.

In a separate dispute, GDL, the union representing train drivers, has threatened a rail strike next week unless national railway operator Deutsche Bahn AG signs off on a wage agreement by Friday.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-08-2008, 05:33 PM

Default wow...

bad enough to see an airport strike but a rail strike as well. That's pretty crippling to the traveler who isn't driving.

I've not really paid much attention to BBC news or anything but local florida news and a few other channels. I guess the strike is still on?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 AM

Mark, you just freaked me out.

I read the title to the thread and the Marine came out in me immediately. When you said strike, I thought you meant STRIKE, as in a military strike.....

I'm sure they'll get it worked out. The EU will not put up with that for very long.
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Administrator

I don't know any details about the strikes or potential strikes.

We didn't have any problems at Munich airport last week. We have taken the S-bahn and U-bahn... no problems.

CNN says that British Airways is not allowing any passengers to check ANY bags. They can carry on, or don't fly. LHR terminal 5 is a zoo now.

A client flew home on BA through London yesterday... I hope he made it.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org