Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Blue fingers in the Main forums forums; Now the weather is getting colder, my symptoms are playing up again and yesterday evening, I was chatting with the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 PM

Default Blue fingers

Now the weather is getting colder, my symptoms are playing up again and yesterday evening, I was chatting with the neighbour out in the cold. When we came inside, I noticed my hand was a different colour and temp, (which is usual for this hand in the cold), but this time, the first two fingers were actually BLUE. Dave saw it too. When we got back inside it had returned to normal.

I've been checked for Raynaulds phenomenon, Thoracis outlet, I was checked just last week for Carpel Tunnel and everything keeps coming back normal.

I find it interesting that the two fingers that turn blue are the same two that used to be numb and tingly when my neck first herniated. They follow the C6/7 dermatome !!

Any suggestions?

Hucky
C6/7, MRI shows large right paracentral disc protrusion with extension centrally. Mild compression of cervical cord and obscuring the neural foramen and exiting nerve root. No uncinate process hypertrophy no facet joint degeneration. no left neural foramina narrowing.
1200mg of Neurontin.

In the last 3 years have seen 1 gen surg, 2 neurosurg and 1 ortho surg. All rec fusion, only 1 recommends ADR or fusion.

Have been off Neurontin since Nov 2006
Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 PM

Default blue fingers

I have this every winter if my hands/fingers are cold as well as whenever I might feel cold. I seem to have no tolerance for heat or cold yet am OK thyroid wise and no Reynauds either. This all really started perimenopause and has persisted. I have arthritis in my thumbs and and forefingers.

For myself I have to keep my head, neck and chest warm as well as my hands. My toes also turn blue.. but I don't care to have my feet all bound up as I have too many probs with my toes/feet.

My mother used to have problems with her fingers as well turning white/blue and I bought her gloves to wear almost all year round, even summer time when she was in a/c.

I usually layer clothing even in hotter weather as I'm always adding and removing some layer of clothing to preserve body heat or dispell it. Plus having to keep my neck and back feeling warm enough that there won't be tightening up due to cold intolerence and spasms as a result of so much tightening and torking (seems to happen very easily in my neck musculature).

Last edited by Maria; 04-24-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Thanks Maria, I am keeping myself warm. I just found it odd that it was the two fingers that were affected by the herniation.

Hucky
C6/7, MRI shows large right paracentral disc protrusion with extension centrally. Mild compression of cervical cord and obscuring the neural foramen and exiting nerve root. No uncinate process hypertrophy no facet joint degeneration. no left neural foramina narrowing.
1200mg of Neurontin.

In the last 3 years have seen 1 gen surg, 2 neurosurg and 1 ortho surg. All rec fusion, only 1 recommends ADR or fusion.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:26 PM

Exclamation oddly coincidental

Hucky,
Is an interesting find. My own findings are too easily explained away by other things likely and while I've some cervical findings at this point I ignore most anything not linked to pain/dysfunction (for myself). Of course severe numbness or painful discolored body parts could fall into that catagory very easily. I hope you don't have the any of the latter.

Last edited by Maria; 04-26-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

I spoke to one of the doctors I work with. He says that the blue fingers can be caused by a sympathetic nervous system dysfunction. (See the warm leg post here.)

Google search Sympathetically Maintained Pain.

This doctor has seen this a few times. It sounds like Hucky's question does not concern pain... just annoying cold or blue fingers. The doctor suggested that if the problem was more than just annoying, a Stellate Ganglion Block may be a useful diagnostic tool. He also suggested that calcium channel blockers are sometimes effective for sympathetic nervous disorders.

I hope this helps... all the best...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 05-02-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Note that bloodflow issues that are related to circulatory system issues are unlikely to follow dermatomes. (All the obvious, "I'm not a doctor... yada, yada, yada disclaimers go here.)
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks for your answers, it is more an annoyance than anything else. I've had this for quite a while now (since the disc herniated) and have been trying to find the cause. From what I've read, it's not a usual thing to happen with a herniated/ruptured disc. In summer it's not an issue, both arms/hands are the same temp and if I'm inside, same thing. Oh well

Hucky
1200mg of Neurontin.