Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss decompression machines in the Main forums forums; Are there any risks to a disc arthoplasty patient if they use one of the mechanical decompression devices presently on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 01:17 AM

Default decompression machines

Are there any risks to a disc arthoplasty patient if they use one of the mechanical decompression devices presently on the market?

thx
bob
Old 11-06-2006, 04:47 AM

Hi Bob,

I can't recall ever coming across an authoritative answer to your question but I can give you my opinion and some info tidbits I've stumbled across over the past few years.

Totally Opinion
- Very light traction probably not too risky (I still get a small amount of relief when I do a 'handstand' to unload my spine)
- I'd be afraid to go beyond light traction with an ADR
- Prior to ADR traction gave me some temporary relief from discogenic pain http://www.geocities.com/jmm3001/traction.html

Info Tidbits
- on MGH forum some patients with ADR or fusions had reported their therapist wanted to try traction - I didn't think this was a good idea
- Wojt on MGH knew of studies that concluded traction contributed to instability
- one of my pre-op ortho surgeons told me traction rarely helps one improve

Here's something I've noticed. No matter what posture, position, loading or motion I put my spine in, some parts feel worse and at the same time other parts feel relief.

Has Janet had any improvements? Certainly I'm better off than I was for that first 18 months post-op, but I'm still not a happy camper.

I'm back in the Seattle area now. Are you still doing organic farming?

Jim
Old 11-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Bob,

I used an inversion table for years to keep me going prior to my adr. I'm now told my Dr. B's staff that I may never use it again.

Good luck to you, Dale
Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 PM

Jim, good to hear from you again. Unfortunately Janet is not better. We probably will attempt another cycle of discovery starting in the spring. It is emotionally and financially draining so we are trying to build up reserves in both.
The farm continues to increase production although it is not financially positive for us. We provide land, equipment, water, facilities, and expertise with little compensation. We are essentially subsidising our friend who is trying to eke out a living because of my love of the land and desire to see the family farm continue in some sort of existence. One can only eat so many vegetables.
If you ever get up towards Bellingham/Ferndale, please give us a call, we'd love to have you over.

Dale, was there an explanation for the restriction on using the inversion table?

thx Bob
Old 11-08-2006, 02:34 AM

Bob,

I was told it would put too much pressure on pulling at the discs. I wouldn't want to pop one of them out by pulling in the wrong direction.

Good luck, Dale
Old 11-10-2006, 02:51 AM

Bob,

I hope you can find a doctor who cares enough to keep looking until the pain is found. The incentives just aren't there for a doctor to do investigative work. Procedures pay big and that's all they care about.

I've found the quality and flavor of the natural/organic foods to be better than the typical supermarket junk. Hope your friend can make it work.

Thanks for the invitation. When I get up there I'll take you up on it.

Jim